Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

How Do You Use a Gun, Weaponlight & or Flashlight?

USA –-(Ammoland.com)- Technology has really fouled up some of the classic gun handling techniques.

Back in the day, if you had to do scary gun stuff like investigate bumps in the night, you had a flashlight and a gun. You could use the flashlight however you liked, with little risk to anyone except the dog. If you had to shoot, you could draw or raise your gun and do that with your other hand.

To figure out ways to carry and fire a gun making the best use of both hands, enterprising gun folks developed a variety of techniques to use the light and gun together.

Those goals were basically:

Use the flashlight to navigate and search.
    Be able to search without pointing the muzzle of your gun at unknown people or things. That’s considered rude by lots of folks.
    Be able to fire your gun without dropping your flashlight on the ground.
    Depending on the technique, you might even be able to shoot with two hands on the gun for more control, while still holding the light and keeping your target illuminated.

All of these early objectives assumed that the light and the gun were independent entities, meaning not mechanically attached or duct taped together.

Let’s take a quick look at some of the more popular techniques and then we’ll discuss why everything is now kinda broken.

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2017/01/how-...#ixzz4VwKV68il
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

I was hoping to get some insight as to what works for others.

I have a few mounted on both a M&P full size and on an AR plus a good hand held light.

I haven't practiced much in real conditions recently. My club allows shooting until 9PM but I have been held back by the weather.

I am a Forum User
    I've seen you shoot in the daylight.

You might want one like this-

Ouch! LOL

Name:  a aron.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  13.6 KB

I am a Forum User
    I'm not a big fan of pointing my muzzle in a direction I can't see ahead of time. I understand why people with both hands occupied (rifle/shotgun) would use a weapon light though, as they generally have no other option for carrying a light. I keep a separate flashlight for home defense, as a benefit, I can use it in lots of other non-defense situations and keep a regular rotation of recharged batteries.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by terrenceh View Post
    I'm not a big fan of pointing my muzzle in a direction I can't see ahead of time. I understand why people with both hands occupied (rifle/shotgun) would use a weapon light though, as they generally have no other option for carrying a light. I keep a separate flashlight for home defense, as a benefit, I can use it in lots of other non-defense situations and keep a regular rotation of recharged batteries.

Who says you can't have weapon mounted AND a hand held? Plus, the flood on most weapon lights is so wide that you could point your muzzle 10-15' away from something and still illuminate it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by METL View Post
    Who says you can't have weapon mounted AND a hand held?

^This. My EDC and nightstand kits includes both. The handheld is my primary go to light since I can search and PID potential threats without the risk of opening myself up to charges. The WML is a backup light or would become the primary in the event I had justification to immediately draw and shoot and where further identification wasn't required. If I was in the process of identifying threats with the handheld then had to draw and shoot, it'd still be the handheld doing the work. I wouldn't drop it just to engage the WML due to time and the fact that I wouldn't want to have a moment of darkness between light sources where the target could disappear, unless I had time and cover to adjust without this problem. There are also some scenarios where having the ability to double up the lumens by powering on both lights simultaneously could be a benefit. I like having options.

Banned
    Very good piece of information. This would be helpful.
    Thanks.

Five year old thread being trolled!

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.