Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    My biggest disappointment was a Luger. They looked so exotic and were so famous that I gust had to have one. After getting one (a "shooter", not collector quality), I found that the toggle was very difficult to operate with thumb and finger. So stiff that I surmised that if a solder were to be wounded or else wise disabled, he would possibly not be able to work the action. Sold it after a short time and never had the urge to own/shoot one again. Very much over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Starvin48 View Post
    I was looking for P50 reviews and this thread came up in the search feature. What a fun read!

My unicorn was the EDC-X9 from Wilson. When I finally obtained one, I was beyond excited. On my first trip to the range I was shocked to find I could outshoot it with a G30S. Shocked. So I went home and took it out another day. Same thing. Even though it feels perfect in hand and points naturally to me, I could never be accurate with it.
    For me it was a S&W Performance Center R8.

I was absolutely giddy when I bought it. I grabbed a variety of target loads I built for my old GP100 and headed to the range. And at 15 yards could barely hit the ground. I tried every load I had, even went out to the ammo counter at the range and bought a variety of .38 & .357 loads.... none of them would group under 2".

I pulled out my well worn, 20+ year old GP100 and was able to keep a ragged hole. Same with my old S&W 586.
    Switched back to the Performance Center gun, and couldn't hit a thing with it.
    The trigger was terrible, the balance was just wrong for me; it was uncomfortable and clunky. I sold the thing a month or so later; I hated to even look at it.

I had always wanted a Performance Center gun, but the trigger... my DIY trigger in the GP100 was so much better than the PC trigger. I still buy old S&W revolvers, but I'll have to think long and hard before ever buying a newer S&W.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    For me it was a S&W Performance Center R8.

I was absolutely giddy when I bought it. I grabbed a variety of target loads I built for my old GP100 and headed to the range. And at 15 yards could barely hit the ground. I tried every load I had, even went out to the ammo counter at the range and bought a variety of .38 & .357 loads.... none of them would group under 2".

I pulled out my well worn, 20+ year old GP100 and was able to keep a ragged hole. Same with my old S&W 586.
    Switched back to the Performance Center gun, and couldn't hit a thing with it.
    The trigger was terrible, the balance was just wrong for me; it was uncomfortable and clunky. I sold the thing a month or so later; I hated to even look at it.

I had always wanted a Performance Center gun, but the trigger... my DIY trigger in the GP100 was so much better than the PC trigger. I still buy old S&W revolvers, but I'll have to think long and hard before ever buying a newer S&W.
    This is interesting to hear! I have been considering picking up the R8 or the 627 PC. I thought it would be fun to have an 8-round cylinder.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't skydive.

This is interesting to hear! I have been considering picking up the R8 or the 627 PC. I thought it would be fun to have an 8-round cylinder.
    I wish I still had mine; I'd trade you for a plate of tacos from Armando's.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    I wish I still had mine; I'd trade you for a plate of tacos from Armando's.
    Dang...I'd probably have given you two plates and a bunch of hot sauce!

Another one now that I'm thinking about fails was the Coonan 357 for me. I thought it would be awesome to have a 1911 that sent 357s out the barrel. Again - felt great and looked wonderful but couldn't hit anything with it and if you didn't use just the right kind of ammo it would jam up. Oh well...

Dang...I'd probably have given you two plates and a bunch of hot sauce!

Another one now that I'm thinking about fails was the Coonan 357 for me. I thought it would be awesome to have a 1911 that sent 357s out the barrel. Again - felt great and looked wonderful but couldn't hit anything with it and if you didn't use just the right kind of ammo it would jam up. Oh well...
    Yeah, the Coonan has always been on my want list. A friend had one. He bought it, ran one magazine through it, and then it sat (probably still does) in his safe. He kept it oiled and wiped clean, but said it was just too pretty to shoot.

Given the chance, I'd buy it from him. Always looking to be disappointed again!

MGO Member
    Yeah, the Coonan has always been on my want list. A friend had one. He bought it, ran one magazine through it, and then it sat (probably still does) in his safe. He kept it oiled and wiped clean, but said it was just too pretty to shoot.

Given the chance, I'd buy it from him. Always looking to be disappointed again!
    The grip on it is so long, and I've got big hands, too. Oversized, heavy 1911. It was so cool, though...

I am a Forum User
    I have a 2nd gun to add to this list (had forgotten all about this thread). The IWI Masada. It checked all the boxes and was excited to pick it up, but upon taking it to the range, I found the slide release slammed into my bone at the base of my thumb, EVERY SHOT. When a gun hurts to shoot, you're not going to shoot it well. It also had several failure to extract, but thinking maybe run a few rounds and that will resolve it's self. Well I trimmed the slide lock to where it is not as bad, but still not great and took it to the range and between my friend and I we went though ~300 rounds, and the gun choked on EVERY mag multiple times. Sometimes it was a failure to feed, sometimes failure to extract, and sometimes failure to eject.

Yes, this is a sample size of one, but biased on my experience with the Masada, I cannot recommend it to anyone.

I am a Forum User
    Remember those brand new, still in cosmoline $80 Chinese SKS's that were stacked to the ceilings at gunshows years back? I went thru a dozen of them and never did find one that would shoot straight. VERY DISAPPOINTING cause they sure were cool looking guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Puc View Post
    Remember those brand new, still in cosmoline $80 Chinese SKS's that were stacked to the ceilings at gunshows years back? I went thru a dozen of them and never did find one that would shoot straight. VERY DISAPPOINTING cause they sure were cool looking guns.
    Saw one in a store for $700 a couple days ago. At the very least, they would have made a good investment opportunity. They also had a M44 for $400. I remember buying those for $75 not 10 years ago.

I was so amped up about the MDR 7.62. I had (have) a RFB, and wanted something similar but of better quality. I was ready to jump on the pre-order bandwagon. In retrospect, I’m glad I didn’t. Would have infuriated me if a $1200 Kel-Tec ran better than a $2800 Desert Tech.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast