Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Opinions on a few safes?

Currently in the market for a safe around $1200 mark, needs to be able to fit about 12 long guns, as well as shelving for ammo and handguns. Door organizer is a plus as well. To preface this, I do have an alarm system with monitoring so I'm not relying entirely on the safe. So far, these are the options I'm looking at, I'd love to hear if anyone has any personal experience with some of these lines and can say whether they are garbage or a good value (or if I've left something out within this price range). I'd also be curious to hear thoughts on an electronic vs. combo lock. Most people seem to have issues on almost every safe with the electronic lock, quick access to my safe isn't on my priority list so I don't mind having the dial but I'm not sure if it's necessarily more reliable.

-Liberty Revere 23: I've heard lots of good things about liberty and they have a solid warranty but they're also easily the most expensive and this one is already pushing me above what I wanted to budget (I'm not really a fan of their Centurion line)
    -Amsec TF6032, about $400 less than the Revere, fire rating is 10 minutes less though. I've also heard a lot of good things about Amsec though.
    -Browning SP15: I know Browning is supposed to make solid higher end safes but I don't if the same applies to their budget safes, there isn't much out there on this safe and I've heard mixed things on their lower end safes
    -Winchester safes, specifically the Ranger 19 or 26: same thing, higher end safes seem good but I don't know as much with their lower end safes
    -Steelwater: I haven't heard much about the name before, some reviews out there claim they are a good value for around $1000.

I'm pretty sure Revere is made in the USA, I'm not sure about the Amsec. Pretty sure the Winchester, Browning, and Steelwater are all made in China.

I am a Forum User
    Not sure why you're not a fan of the Liberty Centurion line, but that's what I have and I'm guessing I have around 12 long guns in it right now, about half of them are scoped. Paid about $500 about 5 years ago at Gander Mountain black Friday sale. Have 4 pistols in there in the door organizer and still have tons of room on the shelf and more space left in the door organizer.

I don't store ammo in my safe anymore... got some old metal school lockers for that task.

But I love my Centurion. Works great, looks great, made in the USA. Can't beat it. Certainly wouldn't think I'd need to spend $1,200 to store a dozen long guns.

You could probably find one like mine for half of what you're looking to spend and then you can buy another gun instead of overspending on a safe.

Just my .02.

The centurion is a nice safe but I didn't really consider it given the 14 gauge steel...almost every review I've read or similar thread considers 12 gauge steel sort of the "minimum" for showing down an attacker.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    The centurion is a nice safe but I didn't really consider it given the 14 gauge steel...almost every review I've read or similar thread considers 12 gauge steel sort of the "minimum" for showing down an attacker.

So not to sound condescending but it sounds like the reviews you've read were based on comments from some level 10 forum-bros... honestly I can't even comprehend the term "attacker" being used with regard to a gun safe. Like a lot of firearm (and many other) related topics, people on the internet take things to the absolute Nth degree. Similar to those who tell you that you can't carry a 9mm because it doesn't have the "stopping power" and other such nonsense.

Go take a look at a Centurion and, for the duration of that time, forget you ever read any of those reviews and ask yourself as your examining it if, in the real world, would it suit your needs of storing your firearms and protecting them from any realistic threat to their security and/or fire.

Also consider the odds of anyone actually even ever breaking into your home... then the odds of anyone making any attempt whatsoever to remove and/or break into your safe... then consider the odds of them being equipped/able to even break into a low-budget safe. Those are very low odds, so unless your situation is one that's much different than the average firearm owner, I'm guessing you don't need to really concern yourself with your safe being attacked. The presence of a strong looking safe in itself is often a successful deterrent that would make any intruder/thief focus more on the readily available items in your home, such as small electronics or other such items.

Quote Originally Posted by Musta Demoni View Post
    So not to sound condescending but it sounds like the reviews you've read were based on comments from some level 10 forum-bros... honestly I can't even comprehend the term "attacker" being used with regard to a gun safe. Like a lot of firearm (and many other) related topics, people on the internet take things to the absolute Nth degree. Similar to those who tell you that you can't carry a 9mm because it doesn't have the "stopping power" and other such nonsense.

Go take a look at a Centurion and, for the duration of that time, forget you ever read any of those reviews and ask yourself as your examining it if, in the real world, would it suit your needs of storing your firearms and protecting them from any realistic threat to their security and/or fire.

Also consider the odds of anyone actually even ever breaking into your home... then the odds of anyone making any attempt whatsoever to remove and/or break into your safe... then consider the odds of them being equipped/able to even break into a low-budget safe. Those are very low odds, so unless your situation is one that's much different than the average firearm owner, I'm guessing you don't need to really concern yourself with your safe being attacked. The presence of a strong looking safe in itself is often a successful deterrent that would make any intruder/thief focus more on the readily available items in your home, such as small electronics or other such items.
    That's a fair assessment, and I've kind of come to the same conclusion when viewing forums...particularly safe review forums in particular. There seems to be a common attitude of if you're not locking it away in a 2 ton safe made of 4 gauge steel then you're just wasting your money on a lower end safe.

You might want to check on Brahma Safes. I bought mine in Pinconning at Able Safe, No relation to the other Able in Warren, I don't think.
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

I am a Forum User
    Liberty is my first choice, I have learned you get what you pay for in most cases. Liberty has a great video on YouTube on the durability of their safes compared to other competitors. The fire test will sell it every time in my opinion. I did cheap out and go with the standard tumbler instead of the more expensive digital lock which later in life now wearing cheaters becomes a pain if I cant find them, one good thing is my wife cannot figure out how to get in even though I taught her for about 2 hours.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by togo View Post
    Liberty is my first choice, I have learned you get what you pay for in most cases. Liberty has a great video on YouTube on the durability of their safes compared to other competitors. The fire test will sell it every time in my opinion. I did cheap out and go with the standard tumbler instead of the more expensive digital lock which later in life now wearing cheaters becomes a pain if I cant find them, one good thing is my wife cannot figure out how to get in even though I taught her for about 2 hours.
    I bought my Liberty from Able Safe in Warren many years ago. I also went with the standard tumbler which is my only complaint. It's a PITA to get it open some times, yeah a real bitch. I would definitely get the digital lock instead of the standard for sure. They do make a good safe.

I am a Forum User
    The Centurion I have has no electronics, so I guess that's a standard tumbler, but I've never had any difficulty whatsoever opening it. YMMV, but that's been my experience.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb32 View Post
    You might want to check on Brahma Safes. I bought mine in Pinconning at Able Safe, No relation to the other Able in Warren, I don't think.
    He has pretty good prices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast