Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MGO LIFE Member
    If you consider amsec as an option, also consider sturdysafe? they are to all of the review and listed detail very .. Solid is the most apt word to describe them, I have since learned that a lot of safes sold in stores especially big name safes are rolled edge metal to give appearance of thicker stock. Big name safes stopped doing solid .25" doors in favor of wrapping sheet around drywall or other fire resistant material and other fancy stuff (edit: marketing was the word I was looking for) to make them more appealing to customers several years ago. Sturdysafe's largest drawbacks are they don't advertise so they're hard to find and they don't bother paying for UL ratings (most safes only get a UL on the lock anyways and advertise a UL rating assuming that you'll believe it's also for fire rating). The sturdy safes are also pretty well customizable in terms of how much security you want if you want fire barrier or plug holes pre drilled etc. I was actually just browsing this section of the forum to see if anyone else mentions experience with them as I am looking at purchasing the 2419 for a closet.

Some amsec is made in USA, but not sure if exclusively made in USA, I think sturdysafe is exclusively made USA.
    Last edited by Viking; 02-28-2017 at 09:04 PM.

MGO LIFE Member
    On a continued note the only verifiable rating I could find for safes was a California "RSC"? Which requires that the safe be capable of delaying entrance by a "couple of minutes" with basic hand tools, which means a bigger guy like myself who pounds metals into shapes as a hobby could defeat a big store sheet metal box with spot welds into a Chinese takeout box in 5 minutes. Does your security system have a five minute response time? Amsec has some models that are pretty serious sturdy safe looks like it starts at serious and has higher options.

Anybody have any real-world experience with Steelwater? Price is attractive but that's unimportant if the product is a POS...
    Michael
    NRA Life Member; NRA Instructor; NRA Chief RSO; MCRGO member

Quote Originally Posted by MAG View Post
    Anybody have any real-world experience with Steelwater? Price is attractive but that's unimportant if the product is a POS...
    I think a lot of people shy away from Steelwater since they are made in China, but I've heard good things about them as well for the price. I'm not necessarily convinced that just because it's made in the US it's inherently a superior product. That being said, since I started this thread, I figured I'd chime in and state I ended up going slightly above my original budget and purchased a Browning Hunter 26. There's definitely some room for improvement on it, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for your reply. I'm weighing the purchase of either a Liberty Centurion or a Steelwater. Not looking to make a huge investment...
    Michael
    NRA Life Member; NRA Instructor; NRA Chief RSO; MCRGO member

I am a Forum User
    make sure you buy one a size too big and not one size too small, leave room for an expanding collection.

Quote Originally Posted by dave7120 View Post
    make sure you buy one a size too big and not one size too small, leave room for an expanding collection.
    Agreed, and depending on your setup, it may be worth getting a cheaper ammo "locker" and just use the safe for firearms.

And as any safe owner will tell you, even if it says it holds "12,20,24 guns"...it won't.

I am a Forum User
    I use the Brahma safe and I am okay with it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123