Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I really have a difficult time choosing any modern safe. They are so easily defeated. I helps if they are bolted down and have walls built on four sides. I would look for an old safe if at all possible. Solid steel, not sheet metal. Most lack the shelving and racks, but can be easily built. Just an idea.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    I really have a difficult time choosing any modern safe. They are so easily defeated.
    They are? Are you talking about the ultra cheap Stack-on units, like the ones at Wal-Mart, or are you talking about the medium to high price range safes such as the ones at Cabelas, TC, etc.?

Unless I'm ignorant (quite possible), I'm guessing I could give any average person on the street access to my whole mechanics tool set and give them 3 hours and I'll bet not one in a hundred gets my Centurion open.

Like I said before, I'm starting to think a lot of this safe talk is internet extremeism (not to be rude). Easily defeated, at least IMO, would mean that pretty much any fool with little to no equipment or skill could get my guns in 30 minutes or less. If it's only "easily defeated" by skilled individuals posessing the needed equipment, then what you define as easy and how I define it are not inline.

But maybe I'm wrong. What are we talking about here with regard to easily defeated?

Quote Originally Posted by Musta Demoni View Post
    They are? Are you talking about the ultra cheap Stack-on units, like the ones at Wal-Mart, or are you talking about the medium to high price range safes such as the ones at Cabelas, TC, etc.?

Unless I'm ignorant (quite possible), I'm guessing I could give any average person on the street access to my whole mechanics tool set and give them 3 hours and I'll bet not one in a hundred gets my Centurion open.

Like I said before, I'm starting to think a lot of this safe talk is internet extremeism (not to be rude). Easily defeated, at least IMO, would mean that pretty much any fool with little to no equipment or skill could get my guns in 30 minutes or less. If it's only "easily defeated" by skilled individuals posessing the needed equipment, then what you define as easy and how I define it are not inline.

But maybe I'm wrong. What are we talking about here with regard to easily defeated?
    With a 3' crowbar and four minutes I could have a great collection.

https://youtu.be/nBhOjWHbD6M

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    With a 3' crowbar and four minutes I could have a great collection.

https://youtu.be/nBhOjWHbD6M

Yeah, I'm still not worried. 2 guys with huge prybars who definitely had some experience doing this. I still think worrying about something like that is extremeism. This is not the kind of thing that happens with any frequency anywhere in the United States and concerning yourself with this kind of thing simply isn't a realistic fear. 99.9% of any intruders would be deterred by any $500+ safe. They likely wouldn't even try it.

What are the odds of the following:

* Odds of your home ever getting broken into?

* Odds of someone breaking into your home with the intent/ability/time to open such a safe?

The answer is pretty low. Again, everyone here can go to the Nth degree to make an argument for/against something.

I could make an argument that carrying a 9mm for protection is completely useless because I'm sure I can show you a video of someone in body armor surviving 9mm fire, but what are the odds that if I was ever attacked (very unlikely) that my attacker would be wearing body armor (beyond extremely unlikely)?

Internet extremeism.

Again, people need to consider the reality of the threat here.

Yeah, I'm still not worried. 2 guys with huge prybars who definitely had some experience doing this. I still think worrying about something like that is extremeism. This is not the kind of thing that happens with any frequency anywhere in the United States and concerning yourself with this kind of thing simply isn't a realistic fear. 99.9% of any intruders would be deterred by any $500+ safe. They likely wouldn't even try it.

What are the odds of the following:

* Odds of your home ever getting broken into?

* Odds of someone breaking into your home with the intent/ability/time to open such a safe?

The answer is pretty low. Again, everyone here can go to the Nth degree to make an argument for/against something.

I could make an argument that carrying a 9mm for protection is completely useless because I'm sure I can show you a video of someone in body armor surviving 9mm fire, but what are the odds that if I was ever attacked (very unlikely) that my attacker would be wearing body armor (beyond extremely unlikely)?

Internet extremeism.

Again, people need to consider the reality of the threat here.
    I agree with most of your statements. Wait until you have all of your firearms stolen. Been there done that. Admittedly, no safe breaking was involved.

A safe, even the very top of the line, is just a deterrent. Given the time and will....

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    A safe, even the very top of the line, is just a deterrent. Given the time and will....
    This is true as well. Ultimately, a safe is nothing more than a deterrent. A very good one, but nothing more. Ultimately, it should just be 1 part of your overall security program. That program consists of many things. Where you live... how secure the rest of your home is (locks, cameras, alarms, etc)... how you conduct yourself... are you discreet with regard to your possessions... do you know your neighbors... are you on good terms with them... do you have dogs...

It's just one part of an overall plan to keep your firearms and other valuables secure. If someone breaks into your home like the 2 guys with 4 foot prybars in that video, another part of your plan has already failed... somehow a bad guy (or guys) found out you had a safe full of goodies and they targeted you. Had that not happened, you'd still have your guns. Random petty criminals who just broke into your home randomly would neither have the tools, know-how, or even motivation to try cracking your safe. They're going to take the path of least resistance and take the easy stuff... your laptop, iPad, TV, etc.

Random petty criminals who just broke into your home randomly would neither have the tools, know-how, or even motivation to try cracking your safe. They're going to take the path of least resistance and take the easy stuff... your laptop, iPad, TV, etc.
    Completely agree.
    It was mentioned here or another thread that where you put the safe can help determine how safe it really is.
    Like in a corner of a spare room, office, basement, etc.

We had a dozen break-ins on our street several years ago. Those with safes said they weren't touched.
    The lunkheads even took a couple piggy banks. Easy to carry stuff is what they're looking for.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

MGO Member
    I'm not sure what brand my safe is. It's at my other house. But, when I bought it I was told to stay away from safes that are welded together at the top corners. You can tell which ones are because they have a sharp 90 degree bend. I guess this is a weak point for a sledge hammer. My safe's top and sides are all one piece of bent steel. The top corners have a nice radius where the one piece of steel was bent and formed.

I am a Forum User
    I have two Browning safes bought in the 90s. Could someone break into them? With enough time, yes.
    Last edited by Begood03; 02-12-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast