Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe Moving

Safe Moving

Recently purchase a gun safe from the lgs, had a very hard time finding a company to deliver/move it into the house. LGS and this forum recommended Howard Safe, Able Safe, and Nick of Time Moving; after contacting each of these three and requesting a quote, not one of them returned my phone call. Return phone calls were made, but to no avail.

Late last week, after further searching this forum, a post recommended Mike & Louis Piano Moving based out of Pontiac. Words cannot describe how professional and what a great service they provide, I was thoroughly impressed. I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking to relocate a safe or has just purchased one.

We recently did business with Mike & Louis Piano Moving. They helped us move a late 1700's player piano that weighs about 3 pounds less than an Abrahms tank.

The guys were professional, funny, gentlemen. Very respectful at all times, and an absolutely excellent at their work. They told me they moved safes and other bulky furniture. I keep their card taped to the side of a file cabinet.

Glad you found them! Great gentlemen you can trust completely!
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

That is great!

There should be a safe moving company that just has a truck that says "Piano Moving". That is a perfect cover.

A good safe company doesn't have any type of branding on the truck that would tip people off that you are installing a safe. But this is a great misdirect.

Were they discrete when moving the safe in? Or were they mainly focused on the job more than making sure people didn't know what they were doing?

To me, a safe installation that doesn't come discretely is not very useful... might even be harmful.

I am a Forum User
    Does anyone have a ballpark estimate as to how much it would cost to get a 600 pound safe into a basement that is a straight shot through the side door?

I would say somewhere in the ballpark of $400 or maybe even less. It might be an even easier job if you remove the safe doors and move them in separately, then reattach them. This might take a little more time, but it is effectively easier and it might be cheaper. If someone has an idea of a better price range please let me know, I am interested in seeing what those numbers might come out to.

MGO Member Forum User
    300ish

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

MGO Member Forum User
    I checked. City moving in flint delivered my 875 lb safe to my basement for 276.00 they charged 138 per hour.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If steps aren't involved, it's actually pretty easy to move even a huge safe.

All you need is 1" or so PVC pipe pieces, and you basically make your own little conveyor belt. Put a piece of PVC in the front while it's rolling, when it pops out the back, put it in front. 3-5 pieces works depending on how big the safe is.

Obviously, hill slopes and other obstacles pose additional actions. I found that using a piece of hard plastic (kind of like where an office chair may sit on to protect the carpet and let the chair roll easily) works well over door thresholds and such.

A pallet jack can help, but renting them can be silly as far as price.

Even some rednecks use softballs to move safes, but I've found PVC to be better.

Obviously, vehicle travel is another story. Landscape type trailers with a ramp gate, use plywood for the ramp, and secure it very well. Don't try to lay the safe down unless you have 3-4 people to help do that (and to stand it back up).

If it is under 700 lbs, you can actually even use an el cheapo hand truck from Harbor Freight:

But it depends on size of the footing of the safe, but using straps is obvious there.

MGO Member
    We had a company move a 500lb safe from my son's foyer down a straight flight of stairs to the basement for under $200, I think it was $185. It went very well. They said sometimes they have to add temporary support underneath the stairs. Yikes. I can try to find the name/number if needed.

MGO LIFE Member
    That's awesome, I don't think I'd have thought about a piano moving company. Didn't really think pianos were prevalent enough to still have companies like that around anymore, my first thought would have been along the lines of 2 men & a truck or similar. I figure they move pool tables and other heavyweight or oversized furniture... but at the same time they've gotten crazy with non liable waivers for damaging walls / carried items etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast