Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Before you buy holsters and pouches and mags, go out and watch both discipline and ask the shooters about their rigs. When you go out to watch, don't forget to bring your eye and ear protection.

I am a Forum User
    Definitely echo the advice on watching a match (USPSA or IDPA.)

I just started USPSA last year, I don't yet belong to any clubs nor have I registered yet with USPSA. I also tried an IDPA match just before the season ended.

The USPSA matches are on Sundays at a few different clubs. I've tried Detroit Sportsman's Congress (DSC) and Racoon Hunters. Amazing people at both places and super friendly for a beginner.

DSC does indoor practice every Tuesday starting at 5pm to about 8pm. So you could also come out on a Tuesday to give it a try! They are listed at Motor City Speed Shooters on Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
    None issue I've participated in IDPA for 2 years before I got a "card". I'm not a member of any of the clubs I've shot matches at either. Being safe is the biggest responsibility IMHO.
    what advantage is there to being a member of IDPA?

MGO Member
    I shoot at Wayne County Raccoon Hunters Club in Romulus. If you're just starting out, don't bother to pay for an IDPA membership yet. Come out and check it out. During the season they have a practice every week and monthly local matches on Saturdays. You do not need to be an IDPA member to participate. Bring you gear and one of Safety Officers will be glad to check it and walk you through your first time. Very nice folk there and very helpful.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I'll get to meet a bunch of you guys this season.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxicag View Post
    Well ****. looks like i have to buy a holster and some extended mags for my 1911, you really cant run with smaller mags?
    One of the reasons we do the PS101 at Livingston Gun Club is to help/prevent people from doing just that. Many of us started out "clueless" and made unnecessary purchases of equipment and gear to shoot the matches. Although we gear our seminar more toward USPSA style shooting, most of us have also shot IDPA and can give you an idea of what is needed in each division for your equipment.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroweld View Post
    One of the reasons we do the PS101 at Livingston Gun Club is to help/prevent people from doing just that. Many of us started out "clueless" and made unnecessary purchases of equipment and gear to shoot the matches. Although we gear our seminar more toward USPSA style shooting, most of us have also shot IDPA and can give you an idea of what is needed in each division for your equipment.
    Right, makes sense. haven't bought anything yet, But I got a feeling I should order ALOT more ammo. From everything I've learned so far seems like its highly addictive, and fun.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
    what advantage is there to being a member of IDPA?
    There are probably other reasons, but biggest one is membership is required to shoot the big matches such as state championships. Those matches can be really amazing when the host club goes whole hog with moviing targets, elaborate stage designs, etc. And you usually have a chance to spectate when top shooters from across the country/world make an appearance. You can watch Bob Vogel on youtube but wat hing live is better.

I am a Forum User
    Good info in here. Looks like I've got some decent Friday night reading to do. Sure I'll be making it to as many events as I can shortly.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroweld View Post
    If you can not make it to the class just go to one of Livingston's uspsa events. I shot my second ever match there and everyone was super nice. My RSO was very helpful giving me pointers on how to approach a stage and different ways to break it down. There is a match this Sunday the 14th

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast