Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged1 View Post
    I shoot at Wayne County Raccoon Hunters Club in Romulus. If you're just starting out, don't bother to pay for an IDPA membership yet. Come out and check it out. During the season they have a practice every week and monthly local matches on Saturdays. You do not need to be an IDPA member to participate. Bring you gear and one of Safety Officers will be glad to check it and walk you through your first time. Very nice folk there and very helpful.
    I'll second this post.Wayne County Raccoon Hunters Club is a great place for Wed. night IDPA practices.They have been welcoming and helpful since i discovered them last Spring.I do not shoot the matches which are held on the 3rd Saturday of the month.Their RSO's do a great job of explaining the course of fire,the rules and procedures. I am not at a level that would be considered speedy in any way. I enjoy going just to practice/simulate real-world targets versus static shooting at a target in a lane at an indoor range. I record most of my shooting with a small helmet cam and then post to youtube.NOTE: I don't do it to show my lack of video skills,nor my lack of accuracy but to help show just how much fun it is to shoot IDPA.
    https://youtu.be/wRUV54IVs_E

What I would recommend for first timers is to have the usual gear,hat,glasses,GOOD ear protection, a rigid belt and a decent OWB holster that you can comfortably wear on your side.Optional but handy is a mag holder or two as you may need 3 magazines to finish a stage. Also as the weather heats up a water or Gatorade (or two) to beat the heat,a rain poncho,bug spray and sunscreen have been welcome items in my shooting bag.
    Last edited by alinc100; 05-07-2017 at 09:26 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by alinc100 View Post
    I'll second this post.Wayne County Raccoon Hunters Club is a great place for Wed. night IDPA practices.They have been welcoming and helpful since i discovered them last Spring.I do not shoot the matches which are held on the 3rd Saturday of the month.Their RSO's do a great job of explaining the course of fire,the rules and procedures. I am not at a level that would be considered speedy in any way. I enjoy going just to practice/simulate real-world targets versus static shooting at a target in a lane at an indoor range. I record most of my shooting with a small helmet cam and then post to youtube.NOTE: I don't do it to show my lack of video skills,nor my lack of accuracy but to help show just how much fun it is to shoot IDPA.
    https://youtu.be/wRUV54IVs_E

What I would recommend for first timers is to have the usual gear,hat,glasses,GOOD ear protection, a rigid belt and a decent OWB holster that you can comfortably wear on your side.Optional but handy is a mag holder or two as you may need 3 magazines to finish a stage. Also as the weather heats up a water or Gatorade (or two) to beat the heat,a rain poncho,bug spray and sunscreen have been welcome items in my shooting bag.
    nice video and very good reply.. Couldn't say it better..
    I just do the opposite, that is I shoot the matches on the 3rd Saturday at Raccoon hunters and skip the Wednesdays practices.. I work late hours but my Saturdays are open and I get the wifey permission to play.

To the OP,
    yes it is addictive and it is tons of fun. Try to go with your shooting buddies, it is more fun when you go as a small group with friends.. You will challenge each other, strategize the stage together and have some kind of an internal competition among the group.. It spices things up and pushes you outside the normal boundaries.. Be safe and enjoy the ride. We are really lucky in SE Michigan to have alot of clubs that run IDPA matches and practices in the area.. As others commented before there are the following IDPA clubs in the area:
    1) Raccoon hunters in Romulus,
    2) Tricounty in Saline
    3) Linden sportsman club in Linden
    4) LCSA in Brighton
    5) and Brooklyn sportsman's club in Brooklyn

They all run top notch matches and practice sessions.. Very safe environments and very fun..

Note: I liked how Gary was yawning while you were pasting the targets in the first stage.. LOL..
    Last edited by JimSig; 05-07-2017 at 10:44 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    nice video and very good reply.. Couldn't say it better..
    I just do the opposite, that is I shoot the matches on the 3rd Saturday at Raccoon hunters and skip the Wednesdays practices.. I work late hours but my Saturdays are open and I get the wifey permission to play.

To the OP,
    yes it is addictive and it is tons of fun. Try to go with your shooting buddies, it is more fun when you go as a small group with friends.. You will challenge each other, strategize the stage together and have some kind of an internal competition among the group.. It spices things up and pushes you outside the normal boundaries.. Be safe and enjoy the ride. We are really lucky in SE Michigan to have alot of clubs that run IDPA matches and practices in the area.. As others commented before there are the following IDPA clubs in the area:
    1) Raccoon hunters in Romulus,
    2) Tricounty in Saline
    3) Linden sportsman club in Linden
    4) LCSA in Brighton
    5) and Brooklyn sportsman's club in Brooklyn

They all run top notch matches and practice sessions.. Very safe environments and very fun..

Note: I liked how Gary was yawning while you were pasting the targets in the first stage.. LOL..
    Also Oakland Sportsman Club

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234