Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Shipping my Saiga 12 out of state for Gunsmithing ....

I have exhausted all resources in finding an in state Gunsmith that wants to work on my Saiga 12.

I'm a member on the Saiga 12 Forum and the guy who is the most experienced for the job is in North Carolina. I was going to send him the Receiver (carrier, bolt and trigger) and the barrel (he was going to check the gas ports). He is NOT and FFL and was concerned about it.

1.) Can I mail it to him?

2.) Who is the best company to ship Certified with Signature and Return Receipt?

3.) Can he mail it back to me as well without going through and FFL?

Thank you!

1.) No, All-Interstate-Transfers-Must-Use-an-FFL!
    2.) Shop around, long guns may be mailed through the USPS.
    3.) No, See #1.

Further more, he would need and FFL to legitimately engage in the gun smithing business. There are no issues if he was your buddy and you were standing right there while he worked, but other than that, the FFL is needed so that he can legally take possession of and return your gun with out it legally becoming his in the interim.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Thank you VERY much for the quick response!

I greatly appreciate it.

MGO Member
    maybe I can catch you before you go through with this, but one of the best Saiga gunsmiths is actually in michigan.

look up http://dinzagarms.com/ not a long drive either. Brian of Dinzag is super-helpful. answered tons of my saiga questions before I bought anything from him.

I am a
    +1 for dinzagarms. i do the ports myself. really not as hard as you think. just a few pins to knock out and knock the gas block off. chances are you got a "vodka special" usually you can just open up the port on the gas block itself and resolve the issue. the gass block will sometimes not alighn correctly with the holes in the barrel and it just takes a bit of love. if you send it within michigan you will not need an ffl. only need an ffl for across state lines.