Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    From legal update 130:
    Officers are reminded that unless exempt under MCL
    750.231, a person with a “mechanical knife” may still be
    arrested for carrying a concealed weapon pursuant to
    MCL 750.227 if that knife could be classified as a
    “dagger, dirk, stiletto, or double edged non-folding
    stabbing instrument of any length.” However, the fact
    that the knife is “mechanical” is irrelevant to that offense.
    This seems to suggest a double edged OTF knife for example is legal since it is "mechanical?"

Quote Originally Posted by MSP update #130
    Public Act 96 of 2017 repealed MCL 750.226a of the Michigan Penal Code to eliminate the prohibition on possession of a knife solely because it has the appearance of a pocket knife, but can be opened by the flick of a button, pressure on a handle, or other mechanical contrivance.
    Officers are reminded that unless exempt under MCL 750.231, a person with a “mechanical knife” may still be arrested for carrying a concealed weapon pursuant to MCL 750.227 if that knife could be classified as a “dagger, dirk, stiletto, or double edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length.” However, the fact that the knife is “mechanical” is irrelevant to that offense.
    Officers are similarly reminded that a person with a “mechanical knife” may still be arrested for carrying a weapon with unlawful intent under MCL 750.226 if that knife could be classified as a “dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over three inches in length” and is carried with the intent to use it unlawfully against the person of another. However, the fact that the knife is “mechanical” is irrelevant to that offense.
    Great way to instruct LEOs how to jack someone up. MCL 750.227 does not apply at all!

AND, how would they prove "your intent", if you don't tell them what it is?

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Great way to instruct LEOs how to jack someone up. MCL 750.227 does not apply at all!

AND, how would they prove "your intent", if you don't tell them what it is?
    Shifty eyes, bead of sweat on your forehead, invoking the 5th, etc...
    The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Do I read that to mean that it is legal to carry a single edge, fixed blade knife?
    US Army
    NRA member
    USPSA Chief Range Officer & NRA RSO
    NRA CPL instructor- group and private
    Private firearm instructions

Depends on the city or township ordinances.
    “The path of the warrior is difficult!
    We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves!
    Honor in serving!
    Honor in defending!
    Honor in dying for a just cause!”

Yes and no, that falls into the big ol' bucket of gray.

There is a phrase in there "except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such". The list of others would preclude the typical hunting knife, but then they add that it is excepted, but limited to the "and carried as such". So, while you are hunting, and I would expect on the way to or from the hunting ground.

I would not want to test this one, it is a 5yr~$2500 fine felony.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Too much grey in the knife laws. I'm curious if anyone has been arrested for a hunting knife on the belt? Not involved in a crime, just say walking down the street. I have no idea if it really happens, or if LEO's don't bother.

Dice

I am a
    So is a OTF KNIFE WITH a blade over 3 inches and a pointed blade but only sharpened on one side leagal to carry concealed? Not considering local ordnances that would prohibit. One like this

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    So is a OTF KNIFE WITH a blade over 3 inches and a pointed blade but only sharpened on one side leagal to carry concealed? Not considering local ordnances that would prohibit. One like this
    According to the Legal Dawgs over at AKTI, the dagger-style blade with a false edge could still get you a 227 violation.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/michigan/

I am a Forum User
    Since it is now illegal for me to carry my cheap Mora knife I love so much, I went out and bought a Microtech Ultratech. One hand operation is a must and since the automatic is legal now, I just had to get one.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast