Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    I am a Forum User
    I'm confused by this law... I guess the main question I have, if I understand it correctly is, you are allowed to have spring assisted auto knives but they can not be double edged, is that correct?

Correct....the State of Michigan no longer bans switchblades. Double bladed knives are still illegal to carry per state law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy21 View Post
    I'm confused by this law... I guess the main question I have, if I understand it correctly is, you are allowed to have spring assisted auto knives but they can not be double edged, is that correct?
    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy21 View Post
    And apparently, unlike Michigan's firearms laws which cannot be preempted by local laws, this law can. So make sure the locality you are in have no laws outlawing spring assisted knives.

NOTE: If I am wrong in this, please let me know!!

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    And apparently, unlike Michigan's firearms laws which cannot be preempted by local laws, this law can. So make sure the locality you are in have no laws outlawing spring assisted knives.

NOTE: If I am wrong in this, please let me know!!
    You are NOT wrong…you are quite correct.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
    Correct....the State of Michigan no longer bans switchblades. Double bladed knives are still illegal to carry per state law.
    Double EDGED knives are only addressed under the category of "fixed blades". I have never read any law that addressed multiple bladed knives.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Double EDGED knives are only addressed under the category of "fixed blades". I have never read any law that addressed multiple bladed knives.
    That's not a nit I'm willing to pick. In other words, I know what you're saying is true, but I don't want to expend legal expenses proving it in a court of law.

I am a Forum User
    Multiple bladed knives?!?

Ooh, that sounds like those scary high-capacity swiss army assault knives! I've heard that some even have spoons attached...more tactical options than civilians would ever have a Democrat-approved reason to own!

Seriously though, Michigan REALLY needs knife law pre-emption. Go 30 minutes down the freeway with just about any pocketknife and you roll the dice (at least around here).

MGO Member
    could dubble edge knives be referred to as a "DAGGER"

Quote Originally Posted by khicks View Post
    could dubble edge knives be referred to as a "DAGGER"
    A "dagger" is one of those that are prohibited by name:

MCL 750-227
    (1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.
    What they have in common is the general concept that these are all "stabbing" instruments, and also that they have two sharpened edges.

The whole concept is a fallacy:
    "dagger" is actually the shape of the blade and there is no limitation that it has to have both edges sharpened.
    "dirk" is of Scottish origin and falls generally into a class of "dagger" shaped, with a style that is more tapered, and is not always sharpened the full length of both sides.
    "stiletto" is truly just a "stabbing" instrument, some don't even have a cutting edge, they are round, square or triangular cross-section with a sharp point. The word comes from the Latin for "stick" - "stylus", with the Italian adaptation that it is "small", hence "stiletto". The French referred to it as "main gauche", the "knife that is held in the left hand and is used in that style of fencing as both a shield and for a thrust when the foil or rapier is turned away.

These are all "fixed" non-folding "knives". The use of the word stiletto to refer to an OTF mechanical knife is an improper application.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415