Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by cmr19xx View Post
    My grandpa brought a lot of very interesting things back with him from WWII. It is crazy to me that I can legally own the pistols he brought back, but the Schrade M2 paratroopers knife (switchblade) was illegal to own. Its resided with my uncle out of state. Looking forward to reuniting it with the rest of the items.

Not mine, just a picture of the exact same knife.
    My Boy Scout leader from the 1970s, William Rachevsky would occasionally bring his to our Scout meetings and let us drool over it. I haven't seen one since then!

I am a Forum User
    When they say stiletto. Are they referring to any double edged knife, or are single edged iconic automatic knives like these still illegal?

I am a Forum User
    Governor Snyder Signed SB 0245 into Law With 'Immediate Effect'

Now Michigan Public Act 96 of 2017, given immediate effect (which is actually a 90 delay from 13 July 2017)

MLive's writeup:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...ade_legal.html

Switchblade knives made legal in bill signed by Gov. Rick Snyder
    By Lauren Gibbons - Updated on July 16, 2017 at 7:03 AM Posted on July 16, 2017 at 7:00 AM

A statewide ban on switchblades will be lifted under legislation signed into law by Gov. Rick Snyder Thursday.

Senate Bill 245 eliminates current law prohibiting sale and possession of spring-assisted knives, also known as switchblades.

Under the ban that's being lifted by the new law, the only people allowed to carry switchblades were those in the police, military or people missing a hand or arm. The law banned others from purchasing knives with mechanical means of being opened.

The bill was introduced by Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, and passed the Senate Judiciary Committee he chairs in March. Both the House and Senate passed the legislation, and the legislation was sent to the governor in June.....
    Last edited by 10x25mm; 07-16-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Demond View Post
    When they say stiletto. Are they referring to any double edged knife, or are single edged iconic automatic knives like these still illegal?

There is nothing in the law that would make the knife pictured illegal. This bill, now law, REPEALED the law,

The only place "stiletto" is used, is in reference to "non folding" knives. A stiletto is not "edged" at all in the sense that you can slice salami with it. It is a stabbing instrument only. The Italian word "stiletto" is from the Latin Stilus, meaning: "a stake; a pointed instrument, used by the Romans, for writing upon wax tablets.

Stylus:

Stiletto:

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Governor Snyder Signed SB 0245 into Law With 'Immediate Effect'

Now Michigan Public Act 96 of 2017, given immediate effect (which is actually a 90 delay from 13 July 2017)

MLive's writeup:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...ade_legal.html
    I like the comments blaming republicans. Clearly, these people didnt notice that it had pretty much universal support before getting outraged.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    I just read the enrolled (last listed) version of sb245 and knives weren't mentioned. It mostly focused on guns in schools. Did I miss a key ingredient?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitbassist View Post
    I just read the enrolled (last listed) version of sb245 and knives weren't mentioned. It mostly focused on guns in schools. Did I miss a key ingredient?
    The third line from the bottom says "Enacting section 1. Section 226a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.226a, is repealed."

Quote Originally Posted by MJ0865 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitbassist View Post
    The third line from the bottom says "Enacting section 1. Section 226a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.226a, is repealed."
    YES! Exactly!

The whole rest of the bill REMOVES any references to Section 226a. So, of course, you wouldn't see that in the final bill either.

There is no new law that makes anything "legal". They have removed what was there that made it illegal!

Of course, this does nothing to prevent the locals from enacting their own, which is the purported reason for the change. People were being charged for "switchblades" by having an "assisted" knife. There is an AG opinion that covers that.

We STILL NEED knife preemption!

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the clarification guys.

So lacking preemption means that we continue to risk running afoul of the law crossing city borders with ANY pocketknife just like last week; only now it can be a cool "out the front" spring knife (next stop: Google!)?

A step in the right direction, but preemption is a must. Some cities in my area have very draconian knife laws, and 20 minutes on the freeway can take me through several jurisdictions. Smh.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    There is nothing in the law that would make the knife pictured illegal. This bill, now law, REPEALED the law,

The only place "stiletto" is used, is in reference to "non folding" knives. A stiletto is not "edged" at all in the sense that you can slice salami with it. It is a stabbing instrument only. The Italian word "stiletto" is from the Latin Stilus, meaning: "a stake; a pointed instrument, used by the Romans, for writing upon wax tablets.

Stylus:

Stiletto:

Thanks

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast