Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

CAUTION TO THOSE CARRYING A GUN

Just yesterday I had a situation when unloading my carry gun at home. I am very diligent in watching for "bullet setback" in my carry ammo as I have to unload the gun each night. I found the round that came out of my chamber had setback. A potentially lethal situation. For those not familiar with this, notice the bullet has been pushed back into the case. This would very likely blow up the gun if fired.
    Keep an eye on your ammo everyone.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/31mtwtgrvp...k%202.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31mtwtgrvp...k%202.JPG?dl=0
    Last edited by november sunrise; 03-21-2017 at 10:10 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you for the safety reminder.
    Could you elaborate? Pistol model, caliber, brand of ammo, bullet weight,
    estimated number of chamberings, nickle or brass cases, as much info as
    you feel comfortable.

Joe

I am a Forum User
    Hey Joe
    This is from a 9mm Glock 19. The ammo is Hornady. Brass case. 125 grain hollow point. I regularly rotate my ammo in my mag to reduce the chance of this so I really couldn't guess the amount of times this particular round was chambered. From experience, I can say that it can happen even the first time.
    We have all been trained to slingshot the slide to load the round. I do this in all situations with the exception of loading my carry gun. I know this can promote setback especially when re-chanbering rounds. I actually ride the slide (slowly let the slide close) on purpose. I know this is not a great idea for everyone but I personally have extensive experience with this and feel this is the proper way for me to extend the life of the carry ammo.
    I would not recommend anyone riding the slide unless they are very familiar with their weapon and are 100% certain the round chambered and the slide is closed. If not, your gun is nothing more than a hammer to fend off a threat.
    For anyone wanting to learn to "ride the slide" of their carry gun, ask a friend to load up some powderless/ primerless ammo and get used to the feel and proper seating position. It's not difficult but you had better be certain it's done right. Your life could be on the line someday and a "out of battery" weapon is useless.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

off topic... but why would you unload your carry gun at home?
    seems like the easy way to avoid the problem is to stop rechambering the same rounds (I also rotate when I HAVE to unload for cleaning/maintenance/dryfire/etc).
    If you're worried about having a loaded gun laying around in the house... get a pistol safe that is made for storing a gun in condition 0. Otherwise, carry at home too. an unloaded gun isn't any more help at home than it is outside.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

This is a common issue with people who unload their weapon daily. I am one of those people...don't ask why, it's just preference.

The way I stopped the issue is by having one mag full of my carry ammo that I use for my +1 only, and I rotate. I toss the previously loaded rounds into a drawer, and once the mag is full I re-load it. It basically means that the same rounds are only loaded once or twice a month instead of every day, and by the time they started to set back even the tiniest bit, I already fired them at the range and loaded new ammo. I try to shoot my carry ammo every 3-4 months and buy new stuff.

That explanation was crappy and confusing, sorry!
    Canadian Import.
    μολὼν λαβέ, Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    Reddit: u/MapleSyrupJediV2 moderator of r/GunAccessoriesForSale & r/MiGuns

I am a Forum User
    Wow, I had no idea this could happen... im going to have to start looking and rotating. I don't unload my carry guns daily though, I only do it when I use one at the range so just a couple times a month
    Last edited by V1x3nV; 03-22-2017 at 08:51 AM.

I am a Forum User
    november sunrise, thanks for the additional info.
    I personally have not seen any setback in any of my carry ammo, but can understand
    how it happens.
    Always a good idea to keep an eye out for it.

Joe

Wow.....That's a ton!!
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

I am a Forum User
    Let Hornady know that their crimp sucked on that batch.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

I usually only cycle the top couple rounds in the magazine. but every now and then I'll rotate those down to the bottom, and do a quick visual check for setback by putting them on the table and holding a piece of paper or something flat along the noses of "new" vs "old" cartridges.
    I should probably think about shooting through the mag and loading new stuff soon though, it's probably been 6 months by now
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast