Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    MGO Member

CAUTION TO THOSE CARRYING A GUN

Quote Originally Posted by Kefefs View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm really glad we have someone like Andrew Tuohy around to cut through all the BS and actually test things like this. That test and the AR muzzle device testing he did are favourites of mine.

So yeah, bullet setback, especially to a minor degree, isn't anything to be afraid of. I've fired 9x19mm and .380 ammo with (minor) setback a few times and had no issues, they fire and cycle like anything else. When I notice a carry cartridge that's substantially set back I move it to the bottom of a backup magazine, then fire that first when I get fresh carry ammo.

The fear surrounding setback is largely borne of internet hypotheticals and gun shop experts, not actual instances of it causing someone's gun to explode or otherwise fail.
    My only concern is that after being chambered enough times the extractor groove near the case head is beat up pretty badly and I'd hate to have a round FTE because I'm too cheap to replace it. So I replace and shoot the first two every few months as they become more and more misshaped.

And I agree, the big scare with bullet setback is the unsubstantiated nonsense of armchair experts trying to sell people more ammo.

I am a Forum User
    Good idea. Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ra's al Ghul View Post
    My only concern is that after being chambered enough times the extractor groove near the case head is beat up pretty badly and I'd hate to have a round FTE because I'm too cheap to replace it. So I replace and shoot the first two every few months as they become more and more misshaped.

And I agree, the big scare with bullet setback is the unsubstantiated nonsense of armchair experts trying to sell people more ammo.
    I keep a close eye on my cases, and check each one while going through the sorting, cleaning, loading steps. Many of my 9mm have been used 20-30 times. I have not noticed any scarring or wear, except for just a few. I figured they were someone else's from the case stamps.
    I'm shooting Glocks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    I love these forums..I always find good advice.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTruck View Post
    Let Hornady know that their crimp sucked on that batch.
    I believe this is an excellent idea whenever there is a problem w/ any part of shooting equip.

I am a Forum User
    Just wondering if someone had tried to re-crimp factory SD ammo just to make sure the crimp is robust enough.. Any one has done this before..
    If I have the time I would run an experiment with reloading one SD round multiple times and measure the OAL to establish a mapping function of setback versus number of clambering the bullet.
    Then i would pick another SD round from the same box and re-crimp using my Lee factory crimping die and repeat the experiment.. One day i would get to try this.

Until then, I really like the proposal by crazygreek, after all you have to practice from time to time with the SD ammo.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    Just wondering if someone had tried to re-crimp factory SD ammo just to make sure the crimp is robust enough.. Any one has done this before..
    If I have the time I would run an experiment with reloading one SD round multiple times and measure the OAL to establish a mapping function of setback versus number of clambering the bullet.
    Then i would pick another SD round from the same box and re-crimp using my Lee factory crimping die and repeat the experiment.. One day i would get to try this.

Until then, I really like the proposal by crazygreek, after all you have to practice from time to time with the SD ammo.
    You should listen to Somecrazygreek, since he owns enough guns to fill five gun stores and works for the ATF.

Seriously though, I do the same thing. Just blast em through on occasion.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678