Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by november sunrise View Post
    I can go from lying down flat on the bed to firing within 2 seconds. I KNOW my gun very well and have trained with it. I do not know my safe that well and have little time to train on it. It would only slow me down. I personally think a safe is just that. A SAFE place to store guns. Not a great place to store what you protect yourself with.
    I agree that a bedside/home protection gun should be more accessible than in a safe. My comment on keeping them in the safe was because I have 4 different handguns that I commonly carry. The one I carried that day is chambered and holstered on the nightstand (I have no kids and my GF and I both carry). The other three are chambered and holstered in the safe. I don't even bother unchambering those because I very well might carry one of them within the next couple days.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SuedePflow View Post
    I agree that a bedside/home protection gun should be more accessible than in a safe. My comment on keeping them in the safe was because I have 4 different handguns that I commonly carry. The one I carried that day is chambered and holstered on the nightstand (I have no kids and my GF and I both carry). The other three are chambered and holstered in the safe. I don't even bother unchambering those because I very well might carry one of them within the next couple days.
    Yea...Nice...
    Everyone should have their own game plan and practice it when possible. You may feel a little awkward doing so at times but it's better than playing dead. I carried a 9mm Shield for quite some time. Great shooting gun but unlike my competition guns , it had a safety. I practiced with it a lot and felt it was a good companion.
    Until...About 18 months into carrying it, I went to the range one day for practice. I brought my regular competition gear and that was my focus for the day. When i stepped into the shooting bay, my buddy yelled, "take em". This was in regards to a target of a bad guy left in the bay. I quickly dropped my range bag, drew my Shield from concealment and had a complete breakdown trying to engage the bad guy because I failed to release the safety. THIS was the last day I carried a gun with a safety. My point, don't carry a mixed bag of guns unless they all either do or do not have safety's. Carry what you train with in that regard.
    I may never have known this would have happened if it weren't for the "surprise" call for engagement.

I am a Forum User
    I unload my carry and put the mag next to it in the drawer beside my bed. I am trained to snatch a loaded gun from a drawer, off a table, out of a tackle box or whatever from years of IDPA but think I personally would be better served with them lying side by side in the darkness. I can insert a mag and be looking down the sights much faster than waiting for a safe to unlock and then have the same concern about snatching a loaded gun in the dark. If you have ever tried to grab a loaded gun from a hard surface in a hurry you will know it takes a lot pf practice to do so safely and without triggering the mag release as it is pointing down on the Glocks I shoot. Oh how it would suck to release the mag trying to snatch up your gun for protection.
    I can go from lying down flat on the bed to firing within 2 seconds. I KNOW my gun very well and have trained with it. I do not know my safe that well and have little time to train on it. It would only slow me down. I personally think a safe is just that. A SAFE place to store guns. Not a great place to store what you protect yourself with. How many of you have practiced opening your safe in the dark? Now think about doing it under a severe amount of pressure. I don't have small kids or visitors in my home either . That opens a whole new set of rules.
    This is just what works for me. Everyone should practice these things and set up your defense system however it works for you and makes you feel well protected.
    If you dont have kids, why bother unloading at all? Any safety concern you have that would make you unload the gun, should be the same safety concern that makes you put your gun in a safe.

Thanks for the pics of the set back. I have not seen one that bad before. Nice catch.

I unload my carry and put the mag next to it in the drawer beside my bed. I am trained to snatch a loaded gun from a drawer, off a table, out of a tackle box or whatever from years of IDPA but think I personally would be better served with them lying side by side in the darkness. I can insert a mag and be looking down the sights much faster than waiting for a safe to unlock and then have the same concern about snatching a loaded gun in the dark. If you have ever tried to grab a loaded gun from a hard surface in a hurry you will know it takes a lot pf practice to do so safely and without triggering the mag release as it is pointing down on the Glocks I shoot. Oh how it would suck to release the mag trying to snatch up your gun for protection.
    I can go from lying down flat on the bed to firing within 2 seconds. I KNOW my gun very well and have trained with it. I do not know my safe that well and have little time to train on it. It would only slow me down. I personally think a safe is just that. A SAFE place to store guns. Not a great place to store what you protect yourself with. How many of you have practiced opening your safe in the dark? Now think about doing it under a severe amount of pressure. I don't have small kids or visitors in my home either . That opens a whole new set of rules.
    This is just what works for me. Everyone should practice these things and set up your defense system however it works for you and makes you feel well protected.
    This sounds really unsafe. Not having a round chambered is one thing, but keeping the mag out of the weapon?

You may have trained, but in an emergency situation trying to get your mag in the gun AND rack it could get you killed.
    Canadian Import.
    μολὼν λαβέ, Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    Reddit: u/MapleSyrupJediV2 moderator of r/GunAccessoriesForSale & r/MiGuns

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    This sounds really unsafe. Not having a round chambered is one thing, but keeping the mag out of the weapon?

You may have trained, but in an emergency situation trying to get your mag in the gun AND rack it could get you killed.
    I see where you are going, but I bet his way is just as fast, if not faster, than pulling a loaded gun out of a safe.

P.S. I am digging your new avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep olllllo View Post
    I see where you are going, but I bet his way is just as fast, if not faster, than pulling a loaded gun out of a safe.

P.S. I am digging your new avatar.
    That's why ya shouldn't keep a loaded gun In the safe! Be better to keep a stick next to your bed.

Also thank you, tried to make it a picture of my Star Wars half sleeve but the resolution requirements for the avatar blows.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    Canadian Import.

I am a Forum User
    That's why ya shouldn't keep a loaded gun In the safe! Be better to keep a stick next to your bed.

Also thank you, tried to make it a picture of my Star Wars half sleeve but the resolution requirements for the avatar blows.

Yeah, but you got jokers like me with kids, and their friends. Safe is not optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep olllllo View Post
    Yeah, but you got jokers like me with kids, and their friends. Safe is not optional.
    True. Luckily I won't have to figure out how to balance defense with gun safety anytime soon.

Canadian Import.

Then please post your sleeve in the appropriate area. Must see!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    Then please post your sleeve in the appropriate area. Must see!
    Here is a crappy picture from my Instagram for now. I'll try and take some better ones later. Hard to get pictures of your own arm Haha

Canadian Import.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast