Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    I called Meekhof's office. They assured me he is pro gun. She went on to tell me that if his committee meets it will be on a Tuesday. There is no agenda to look up so I guess she wants me to call every Wednesday to see if there is any progress. I reminded her that a lot of good gun legislation has been tanked by Senators that assured us they were pro gun. I would think that if Meekhof was in n favor of this legislation and was planning on using his committee to usher it through, he would be a little more forthcoming.

I hope past performance is not an indicator of future returns.

MGO Member Forum User
    I just got off the phone with Meekhof's office. I was told there was no movement and that I shouldn't expect movement for several weeks until the budget is passed. We need active citizens to engage his office until there is movement on this issue.

1. Write your individual senator
    2. Call Senator Meekhof's office and simply ask why there hasn't been any movement on this issue. Be polite but firm with your support of the legislation and that you will be calling weekly to check on the progress. If the phone keeps ringing they will make it a priority

I am a Forum User

Oakland County Residents

I contacted my Senator about this issue. If you live in Oakland County, please consider contacting this Senator and remember this when you vote:

Quote Originally Posted by Rep Robert Wittenburg Distric 27
    Dear Arthur,

Thank you for contacting me regarding House Bill 4416, House Bill 4417, House Bill 4418, and House Bill 4419. This package of bills was introduced by Reps. Hoitenga (R-102nd), Cole (R-105th), Allor (R-106th), and Hornberger (R-32nd). I strongly believe that we need more common sense gun laws, and this would be a step backwards in stemming the flow of gun violence. It is important that we do all that we can to ensure the safety of all citizens from those who seek to do harm with guns. Sponsors of these bills argue that a person still needs to go through a background check to purchase a weapon. They will also say that you don't need a permit to "open carry" a weapon. There must be reasonable safeguards in place to ensure that only law-abiding citizens have access to a gun. Michigan is a "shall" issue state, so as long as you are not otherwise disqualified you are able to own/buy a gun.

With ownership comes responsibility, and there have to be minimum training and accountability standards. When I took my CPL class, taught by two police officers in my district, they covered various topics, including how to handle a weapon, how to store it safely and how to shoot it properly. Both of my instructors agreed that the training is not sufficient, and they encouraged class members to take additional classes. These are police officers, and they don't think the current level of training is enough, and they are not alone. The State Police, the Michigan Sheriff's Association, the Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police and Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy (the Prosecutors Attorneys Association of Michigan -did not find this one actually testified) testified against these wrongheaded bills in committee.

Our Constitution and our communities are only as safe as our willingness to protect them. The late Supreme Court Justice, Antonin Scalia, in his Heller opinion (200, concurred with a majority of his colleagues that just like all amendments to the constitution, there are restrictions on the Second Amendment. There should be. There must be. I urge you to reach out to your State Senators and Governor Snyder to voice your opposition to these bills.
    These bills were referred to the House Judiciary Committee. I do not serve on this committee but if the bills come to the floor for a vote, I will oppose them. That being said, we may not always agree on every issue, but it is my job as an elected official to hear the concerns of my constituents.

Again, thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue. If you have any other thoughts or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
    Robert

Robert Wittenberg
    State Representative, 27th District
    P.O.Box 30014
    Lansing, MI 48909
    Phone: (517) 373-0478; Toll Free: (855) REP-WITT wittenberg.housedems.com

That is your Representative and he sounds like a douche.

I believe your senator is Vincent Gregory.

senvgregory@senate.mi.gov 517-373-7888

125 W Allegan St # 1015, Lansing, MI 48933

It now sits in the Senate Committee on Government Operations.

Please contact your Senator.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    That is your Representative and he sounds like a douche.

I believe your senator is Vincent Gregory.

senvgregory@senate.mi.gov 517-373-7888

125 W Allegan St # 1015, Lansing, MI 48933

It now sits in the Senate Committee on Government Operations.

Please contact your Senator.
    Oops!

Hey, I was hit by an idiot stick as a child. Don't invade my "Safe Space!" <snicker>

Thanks. I'll take appropriate action.

Still... Douché seems like a good title.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsNCrash View Post
    Originally Posted by Rep Robert Wittenburg Distric 27
    ... I strongly believe that we need more common sense gun laws, and this would be a step backwards in stemming the flow of gun violence. ... I do not serve on this committee but if the bills come to the floor for a vote, I will oppose them. That being said, we may not always agree on every issue, but it is my job as an elected official to hear the concerns of my constituents.

Again, thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue. If you have any other thoughts or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Looks like I have a phone call to make...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    Looks like I have a phone call to make...
    Please!

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsNCrash View Post
    Please!

left a message
    city, zip, name, phone, I STRONGLY encourage you to support 4416-4419 right to carry, thank you
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

democrat, oak park
    US Army
    NRA member
    USPSA Chief Range Officer & NRA RSO
    NRA CPL instructor- group and private
    Private firearm instructions

MGO Member
    is there any word as to when the committee will have a hearing on these bills

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast