Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Borrow rifle for possible cross-dominant son?

I plan to go to an Appleseed event over Patriot's weekend, and it will only be the second time I've ever been shooting, and my son's first (9yo), other than air guns.

One thing I wasn't sure about, is how to find if someone would have a rifle my son could borrow? I plan on buying a Marlin 795 and sling (although, I may hold off on the peep sights for now) for myself, but my son would need one to use. I also suspect he's cross-dominant, so not sure if he should shoot left or train his right eye, and if a "left handed" 22 is even a thing, or something to worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by lurgid View Post
    I also suspect he's cross-dominant, so not sure if he should shoot left or train his right eye, and if a "left handed" 22 is even a thing, or something to worry about?
    If he closes his left eye, you won't have an issue. If you want him to shoot with both eyes open, teach him to shoot left handed. At 9 it will be easy to switch him over. The older he gets and the more he shoots, it will get harder for him to learn. Don't worry about a left handed gun.

I am a Forum User
    I'm right-handed and left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I don't find it an issue shooting a rifle with peeps sights or a scope. I think maybe using the peep sights really helps that non-dominant eye to focus. I got my rifleman patch at an Appleseed shooting that way (Marlin 795 with Tech-Sights). It's much more of an issue for me shooting a handgun or shotgun.

I'd be curious what some of the former military folks would have to say though. I'm sure the military has a way of teaching around it.

I am a Forum User
    It's up to the person. I know people who have forced their eye dominance to change, others just shoot off handed. Experience and time will be the best judge.

I plan to go to an Appleseed event over Patriot's weekend, and it will only be the second time I've ever been shooting, and my son's first (9yo), other than air guns.

One thing I wasn't sure about, is how to find if someone would have a rifle my son could borrow? I plan on buying a Marlin 795 and sling (although, I may hold off on the peep sights for now) for myself, but my son would need one to use. I also suspect he's cross-dominant, so not sure if he should shoot left or train his right eye, and if a "left handed" 22 is even a thing, or something to worry about?
    You don't realize it yet, but you have stumbled in the right place to ask your questions.

After your "intro" thread, and your first response to a message I left there, I had to run off to a meeting. That meeting was a club meeting at LCSC, and I button-holed one of our Appleseed instructors for direct answers to your questions.

Once you have signed up for the event, contact the Appleseed guys, they usually have loaners, but have to know that they have a participant that needs one so they know to bring it along.
    One way of making contact is to send an email to: MI@appleseedinfo.org That goes to THE guy for the State. Just explain (just like you have here) what you are looking for. That same guy can be reached here on this Forum as "intheburbs". He will, in turn, send a message to the guy that is running the shoot that you signed up for.

Now, here is a little additional information. If you go to the link (posted in other thread too) that allows you to choose "Michigan" and see all of the events that are scheduled, then click on "Information" for one of the Lapeer events. That lists a whole bunch of info, but at the very bottom are these lines:

For more information contact:

Name: MI State Coordinator Email Address: MI@appleseedinfo.org

Name: Private Message: ITB, Caliper or Superheat on Appleseed Forum

ITB on the Appleseed Forum is "intheburbs" on this forum and is the one that the email goes to.
    Caliper is the guy that I button-holed at the club this evening, he will be doing the Fenton event that weekend.
    And I was told that "Superheat" will be running the Lapeer event. He has the same name here too.

After you get signed up, reach out to one of them. If you are having a hard time getting through, let me know (PM) and I can get to them with other methods (we are all on a first name basis with each other, I even know kids and wives names). I also have an account on the Appleseed forum (same name), so I can call them to come here and look for you. They are a great bunch of guys, so don't be afraid to contact them.

If there is anything else I can answer or point you to where the answer is, don't be shy, ASK!

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Also Caliper is cross eye dominant, right handed but shoots left if memory serves me right.

Quote Originally Posted by ATA Works View Post
    Also Caliper is cross eye dominant, right handed but shoots left if memory serves me right.
    Right on the money! Rifle any way. I don't know which way he goes with pistol.

But Caliper will be in Fenton the weekend that is being talked about.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I can tell you from personal experience that he will find the right way to shoot. I'm right handed, left eye dominant. Let him pick up a rifle and he will naturally pull it up the way he's comfortable with. Work with him that way, and he'll enjoy it far more.
    I know some will argue with me, but if he does shoot left-handed, don't buy left hand specific guns. It will limit your selection, and there isn't much of a benefit. I've never had any issues with right handed guns in all my years of shooting.

You're doing a great thing teaching that young man to shoot.

Dice

MGO Member Forum User
    Eye doc here...

Every patient is different, and there are many possible solutions depending on the circumstance, rifle, pistol, shotgun, iron sights, red dot, scope, etc etc etc.

Here is the classic test for eye dominance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2J1ul73y2A

Do it a few times, and when you swing your hands up, do it quickly and smoothly (i.e. don't think about it too much, just do it.)

For many patients, they end up doing better learning to shoot with the off hand rather than attempt to change eye dominance.

It sorta depends on if you're plinking at beer cans or trying to shoot at a relatively high level.

I am a Forum User

Cool! Glad to see a new shooter coming out! You won't be disappointed.

Superheat (Appleseed name, not sure if he's on MGO) is currently set to be Shoot Boss for the Patriots day weekend shoot at Lapeer County Sportsmans club. I'll be running the event out at Fenton. (we tend to do a lot of shoots near Apr 19 ) Wherever in Michigan you sign up, let us know and we can arrange a loaner rifle for your son and probably a youth stock that will fit a 9yo better.

I wouldn't hold off on the peep sights (by which I mean Tech Sights where .22's are concerned). If you have an interest in shooting iron sights, peeps are the way to go. The factory sights on the 795 (as well as 10/22 and 597) are designed to a price-point since most buyers are adding a scope anyways. Adjustments are rudimentary and the sight picture leaves something to be desired. The peeps will give you a much better sight picture and longer sight radius which translates to better shooting.

As far as cross dominance, yes, I am a cross dominant also. I went through all the "close your left eye" and trying to concentrate on seeing the sights with my right eye. Then I finally switched to shooting long guns left handed and haven't looked back. You can squeeze the trigger with either finger equally easily. It is just easier for me to shoot better using the correct eye. Yes, it feels strange at first (I spent an afternoon re-learning prone because I couldn't find my shoulder pocket on the left side!) and it means my selection in bolt action rifles is more limited, but it's worth it. It frees up that portion of my brain that I was always having to fight with to aim with my right eye and lets me just focus on making the shot. As it should be. Of course, with semi-auto rifles (and especially blowback actions like a .22) this means you want to be sure to wear eye protection all the time, but you were doing that anyways, so no biggie.
    We can double check eye dominance and go from there. The most important thing is to come out and attend an event! You'll learn so much more than staying at home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast