Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

New Gun Owner's Starter Kit

So, I lucked into gun ownership by finding a "Nearly NIB" MAK-90 in my attic during a remodel. I have actually not shot it yet, and have only been shooting once before, at an indoor range with my cousin. I plan to purchase a 22 (Probably a Marlin 795 and a sling) this week for a cheaper to shoot option and attend a Project Appleseed event at the end of next month. I did not grow up in a hunting or gun-owning household, so my knowledge is somewhat limited.

It's my understanding that for transporting, at least here in MI, one needs a locked case? What are some other accessories and accouterments that one might need or want to get started (I do also have some muffs and glasses)? What would be in your "new gun owner's starter kit"?

Bullets.

Get a cleaning kit and a bag of cloth patches.
    Outers is one brand.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    Hearing protection and eye protection are a must. And required at most ranges. If you like your hearing, wear ear protection every time you shoot.

I am a Forum User
    First thing you need to do is get a permit to purchase & get that gun registered.

Get it at your local police department & fill it out with you as buyer & seller.
    Then mail it back to them.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    First thing you need to do is get a permit to purchase & get that gun registered.

Get it at your local police department & fill it out with you as buyer & seller.
    Then mail it back to them.
    Isn't the MAK-90 a rifle? So none of that is necessary.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MichMass View Post
    Isn't the MAK-90 a rifle? So none of that is necessary.
    Oop's My bad.

Got handguns on my mind.

Sorry, ignore me.

I am a Forum User
    As stated above, cleaning kit and patches as well as bullets are great to start. I'd recommend a decent hard case, gun locks (8 yr old in the house), lockable ammo storage place, and a healthy respect for the power of firearms (which you're displaying by asking questions here). Until you have the experience to tell the morons from the helpful and knowledgeable, stay away from YouTube and the over dressed tactical wannabes you're likely to see at any range.

Welcome to the fold and remember that guns are like potato chips; you can't have just one.

Quote Originally Posted by lurgid View Post
    So, I lucked into gun ownership by finding a "Nearly NIB" MAK-90 in my attic during a remodel. I have actually not shot it yet, and have only been shooting once before, at an indoor range with my cousin. I plan to purchase a 22 (Probably a Marlin 795 and a sling) this week for a cheaper to shoot option and attend a Project Appleseed event at the end of next month. I did not grow up in a hunting or gun-owning household, so my knowledge is somewhat limited.
    As others have pointed out:
    Eye and Ear protection.
    A cleaning kit, and since you already have the rifle chambered in 7.62x39 (.30 caliber), and are looking for a .22LR, make sure that the kit you get covers at least those two calibers.
    Home storage is a subject all in itself, and truthfully, what works for one is insufficient for another. Michigan has no laws on the subject, so as long as you are comfortable and you feel the youthful curious hands are controlled, that is all you need. Cable locks fed through the mag-well and out the ejection port will prevent someone from loading it, and they are cheap.
    I would suggest searching out youtube for cleaning instructions on the MAK-90, and find a good carbon solvent meant for gun cleaning, those are supposed to be dirty shooting critters.
    You might also want to pickup an "Empty chamber indicator" or "chamber flag", some ranges require their use.

Quote Originally Posted by lurgid View Post
    It's my understanding that for transporting, at least here in MI, one needs a locked case? What are some other accessories and accouterments that one might need or want to get started (I do also have some muffs and glasses)? What would be in your "new gun owner's starter kit"?
    There are laws specifically about transporting a longarm. Laws on pistols are different, but one thing at a time.

MCL 750-227d

Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:

(a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

(iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(b) A pneumatic gun that expels a metallic BB or metallic pellet greater than .177 caliber unless the pneumatic gun is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

(iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    Read the above carefully. This law prohibits transport or possession in or upon a motor vehicle, UNLESS:
    It is UNLOADED, AND any one (or more) of the list of other conditions. If you unload it and put it in the trunk, that is all you need. If you unload it and put it in a case, that is all you need, you can carry it in your lap. If it is a break-action and it can be "taken down", you can just lay the pieces in the back seat, done.

There is no requirement for locks, or carrying ammo any specific way, just no ammo in the gun. There is also no definition of "case" in this law either. The box the gun came in will be legal until you find what you want.

Appleseed will want the firearms "cased" to take them to the line and to take them from the line, so I would look for at least ONE case to start with. Soft side or hard shell or even just a fabric sleeve. Your decision, all will work, then find what you like the best if you want more cases.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.