Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

HB 4204 MSP access to driver license photo of CPL holder

HB 4204 of 2017
    Traffic control; driver license; access to driver license photograph of concealed weapons license holders; allow by department of state police. Amends sec. 307 of 1949 PA 300 (MCL 257.307).
    Last Action: 2/15/2017 bill electronically reproduced 02/14/2017

I am a Forum User
    I see no problem with this.

I don't see anything detrimental in this bill.
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

MGO Board of Directors

This is identical to HB 4653 of 2015.
    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?329866

I wonder why it died last time around?
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Gotta, sorta, kinda, haveta pass this one sooner or later.

This is an exact repeat of 2015-HB-4653 that died in at the end of the last session. It got through the House and the Senate committees, then died without a vote on the Senate floor.

They passed law directing the use of the DL photo on CPLs, they need to pass this to make it legal for the SoS to share with the MSP.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    This is an exact repeat of 2015-HB-4653 that died in at the end of the last session. It got through the House and the Senate committees, then died without a vote on the Senate floor.
    Oh yeah…you're right!
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb32 View Post
    I don't see anything detrimental in this bill.
    Why is it needed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallbear View Post
    Why is it needed ?
    It is needed so that one branch of government has the necessary release to provide information to another branch of government as directed in law.

MCL 28-425c says (in part):

(4) The secretary of state shall make a digitized photograph taken of the applicant for a driver license or personal identification card available to the department for use under this act. The department shall provide the photograph of the applicant received from the secretary of state to the county clerk who shall use the photograph on the individual's license unless the applicant does not have a digitized photograph on file with the secretary of state.
    And the law that they are amending has a couple lines:

"(17) The secretary of state shall do all of the following:

(a) Ensure the physical security of locations where operator's licenses and chauffeur's licenses are produced and the security of document materials and papers from which operator's licenses and chauffeur's licenses are produced."

"A person's digital photographic image and signature shall be used as follows:"

With a list of specific acceptable uses. They are just adding that transmitting the data to the MSP for this purpose is an acceptable use.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    It is needed so that one branch of government has the necessary release to provide information to another branch of government as directed in law.

MCL 28-425c says (in part):

And the law that they are amending has a couple lines:

"(17) The secretary of state shall do all of the following:

(a) Ensure the physical security of locations where operator's licenses and chauffeur's licenses are produced and the security of document materials and papers from which operator's licenses and chauffeur's licenses are produced."

"A person's digital photographic image and signature shall be used as follows:"

With a list of specific acceptable uses. They are just adding that transmitting the data to the MSP for this purpose is an acceptable use.
    So, you're saying the SOS can use the MSP as a place to store the photo's and signature's used on on our driver license that then can be used on our CPL ?

And why does the SOS need the MSP to store that information?
    Last edited by Tallbear; 02-16-2017 at 02:51 PM.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Tallbear View Post
    Why is it needed ?
    While "(d)" (set to become "(e)" in this bill) is a catch-all that allows for CPL use, it is good to have an enumerated list of specific/known uses vs having several uses fall under the non-descript catch-all provision.

I guess what I'm saying is, it is nice to know how this information is being disclosed and for what reason(s).

Otherwise, it isn't needed at all since "(d)" already allows for use of the photograph/signature by the MSP for CPLs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast