Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Form 1'ing a homemade can? Still legal to collect the parts while I wait for a stamp?

I'm a little confused about the whole Form 1 thing on homemade cans. People buy tubes, end caps, boosters, baffles etc that still need to be "drilled" out after the fact once you get your Form 1 approved and receive your stamp.

Lately I've been seeing all these posts about the ATF raiding and shutting down all these dealers because they claim these parts are now regulated but I see 20 other major well known dealers still in business.

I love DIY projects but I want to keep everything legal. Is it still legally then for a private person to order all the parts and be in possession of them while you wait on your stamp? I'm concerned if I file my Form 1 first and wait for approval all these shops will be shut down by the time the stamps approved and I do not have the skills or access to thread my own tube, make end caps etc.

Why are some of these shops getting shut down but not others?

I was going to just going to buy a Ti-Rant 45 M but a buddy has a form 1, 7.5' inch Titanium 1.375" inch can built on parts from the now defunct SD Tactical or whatever it was called and it works VERY well. He has actually stacked K-cups and a Liberty Booster in his though, not NAPA freeze plugs, all legit, he has a Form 1 stamp for it. He said all the parts were about $300 not counting the booster which he got used for $110 dollars off ARFCOM so that is a lot more appealing to me than retail AAC prices.

I keep putting off the AAC due to the cost and wait time but if I could collect parts a little here and a little there while I wait, that would help the sticker shock and the wait sucking. Plus I could get the thing sent out for engraving and Cerakoting and not have to add that wait to the post-stamp wait time!

Thanks for advice!
    Last edited by kdogg; 04-05-2017 at 02:34 PM.

I waited until I had my form 1 back. However, as I understand it, yes you can buy the parts before receiving the form 1. I bought everything at once as a kit from Diversified machine however. titanium tube, endcap and baffles. I later purchased a fixed thread adapter for it, I do not have a booster. 1.375" tube 8" long over all. This will be for .45 and under.

I am a Forum User
    DM is the company everyones suggested as a source for parts now that SDTA is shutdown.

I'm looking at their 7.5" inch 1.375 Titanium tube, radial coned end cap and booster bushing. Would run that with a Liberty booster so I could swap pistons. I'm under the impression that you can't swap end caps if they hold the stack in place per ATF but changing pistons in a booster is OK.

I have an FN FNX-45 Tactical and a HK 45 Compact Tactical, they need a can...

Also trying to track down a factory OEM GLOCK 19 threaded barrel. I know a bunch of people make aftermarket GLOCK barrels but I would prefer OEM if I can find one. I hear they can be hard to find!

Last edited by kdogg; 04-05-2017 at 11:28 AM.

I am a Forum User
    SD Tactical is not shut down. They still sell anything that can't be used to build a silencer straight up on their site.http://sdtacticalarms.com/ I get emails once a week or so with new products from them.

You can still buy "solvent trap" parts from him as well, once you have your form 1 in hand. SDTA is not quite as polished and it is "off the shelf" so options are slightly limited but adequate. He sells muzzle brakes, adapters and boosters now too.

DM stuff seems to be higher quality and he will make your stuff to order, DM's backlogs have been running very long from what I understand.

FWIW, I built 2 form 1 cans with SDTA titanium tubes and end caps and titanium VSRs off ebay. couldn't be happier for the cost.

I waited until I had the tax stamps in hand before I ordered anyway, because their availability is usually very good.

20161022_124036_resized.jpg

20160920_201309_resized_1.jpg

I am a Forum User
    You guys ever looked at Ronin Pro?
    I shot a friends Ronin pistol can the other day. Worked great.
    excellent machining on the internal cups/everything, 7075 aluminum main tube and end caps.
    Preindexed center marks on the cups and end cap. Booster is essentially a Liberty model (uses Liberty pistons).
    https://www.roninpro.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG View Post
    You guys ever looked at Ronin Pro?
    I shot a friends Ronin pistol can the other day. Worked great.
    excellent machining on the internal cups/everything, 7075 aluminum main tube and end caps.
    Preindexed center marks on the cups and end cap. Booster is essentially a Liberty model (uses Liberty pistons).
    https://www.roninpro.com/
    I went with titanium so that it would be easier to clean, and I can also use it with rifle rounds.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    I went with titanium so that it would be easier to clean, and I can also use it with rifle rounds.
    True and True...
    Ronin does make rifle strength "solvent trap" devices too (LoL..), but you're right, they are all made from 7075.

BUT, in researching strengths of materials for the 3 Form-1's I'm waiting approval on, 7075 aluminum is surprisingly strong. On fact, 7075's yield strength is better than most readily available alloys of stainless too. But, when heated beyond 400F (which high-volume rifle shooting may very well produce) the stainless retains burst strength a better than the 7075...

That SD site is very sketchy about what they offer... Is that were you're getting the titanium main tube from?

I'm hoping my form 1's come soon. I wanna get started on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG View Post
    True and True...
    Ronin does make rifle strength "solvent trap" devices too (LoL..), but you're right, they are all made from 7075.

BUT, in researching strengths of materials for the 3 Form-1's I'm waiting approval on, 7075 aluminum is surprisingly strong. On fact, 7075's yield strength is better than most readily available alloys of stainless too. But, when heated beyond 400F (which high-volume rifle shooting may very well produce) the stainless retains burst strength a better than the 7075...

That SD site is very sketchy about what they offer... Is that were you're getting the titanium main tube from?

I'm hoping my form 1's come soon. I wanna get started on this stuff.

I got my 1.375 Ti tube from diversified machinr.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockoff64 View Post
    SD Tactical is not shut down. They still sell anything that can't be used to build a silencer straight up on their site.http://sdtacticalarms.com/ I get emails once a week or so with new products from them.

You can still buy "solvent trap" parts from him as well, once you have your form 1 in hand. SDTA is not quite as polished and it is "off the shelf" so options are slightly limited but adequate. He sells muzzle brakes, adapters and boosters now too.

DM stuff seems to be higher quality and he will make your stuff to order, DM's backlogs have been running very long from what I understand.

FWIW, I built 2 form 1 cans with SDTA titanium tubes and end caps and titanium VSRs off ebay. couldn't be happier for the cost.

I waited until I had the tax stamps in hand before I ordered anyway, because their availability is usually very good.

20161022_124036_resized.jpg

20160920_201309_resized_1.jpg
    Which means essentially he got shut down. I can't buy my parts now and start collecting them. Also apparently the ATF changes positions on him again and said he has to ship to a SOT now? I've been a member on his forum for ages, I've just never done a Form 1 DIY. Only reason I'm interested in it right now is that I want to get in on it before it's too late or too difficult to order parts. SO FAR the ATF has not given any opinions on possession of the parts other than don't drill them out illegally before you get your F1, they have only shut down and or restricted a couple dealers.

Side note Ronin Pro is out of the game. They just announced they are no longer selling parts.

Still not sure what I'm doing yet. I'm seeing pretty damn good prices on AAC Ti-Rant 45 M's right now. The 1.375 tube, end cap and bushing is about $180, the stack will be about $175, the Liberty booster another $165 plus I'd want it Cerakoted TAN or maybe black. Can get a Ti-Rant 45 M for $623 right now.

Sidenote, thedonn007, that 22/45 looks tight as hell with that raw titanium can on it. Almost has me thinking I might just want to leave it in the raw if I go DIY.
    Last edited by kdogg; 04-10-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast