Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

1896 Swedish Mauser - ammo/reload recommendations

Am soon to be a proud owner of a "1908 Carl Gustafs M1896 Swedish Mauser" -- probably should avoid Gunbroker & Devil Dog oatmeal stout, late at night. -- but I was just looking honey must have clicked the wrong button.

Any recommendation for some starter ammo -- I mean new brass is a buck a case, might as well buy 40-60rds of commercial and re-use the brass. Found some 120g PP match @ Palmetto for 14.99/20rds .. some 139gr PP @ Selway for about 10% less. Some reviews seemed to think PP Brass was good quality for reloads.

Planning on reloading -- have to do some research on loads. Will post some pic's when it get's here. It's destined to be a shooter, I don't do safe queens, heard some good stuff, seller has a good rep, hopefully it will pan out.

My 1st 6.5 I shot CBC Brazilian surplus, and Norma as nothing else was available I could find. Today there are lots of choices. I'd go with Win, Rem, or Federal ammo as it's the cheapest factory I know of. For a handload 45-47grs of R22 with anyone's 140gr bullet is probably as good as it gets for hunting or target. I really like the Hornady Inter Loct and Sierra made a 142gr that was a very accurate 6.5 bullet, but I have not used that particular one in years.
    Good brass is available at reasonable prices. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/704?
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkc451 View Post
    Am soon to be a proud owner of a "1908 Carl Gustafs M1896 Swedish Mauser" -- probably should avoid Gunbroker & Devil Dog oatmeal stout, late at night. -- but I was just looking honey must have clicked the wrong button.

Any recommendation for some starter ammo -- I mean new brass is a buck a case, might as well buy 40-60rds of commercial and re-use the brass. Found some 120g PP match @ Palmetto for 14.99/20rds .. some 139gr PP @ Selway for about 10% less. Some reviews seemed to think PP Brass was good quality for reloads.

Planning on reloading -- have to do some research on loads. Will post some pic's when it get's here. It's destined to be a shooter, I don't do safe queens, heard some good stuff, seller has a good rep, hopefully it will pan out.
    is this a 7mm ? or 6.5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by pkuptruck View Post
    is this a 7mm ? or 6.5 ?
    6.5x55

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Freedom of Speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkc451 View Post
    6.5x55
    then I echo ol' Joe. my little mauser LOVED the 129 grain bullets, regardless of the maker.. or the powder..

got a bit more finiky as you moved up... but the 139 bullets performed very well, and help accuracy for distances..

I sold that little wonder a few years back, gonna have to dig thru my reloading files and get you some info..

MGO Member
    Love the 6.5 x 55 Swede.

Impressive penetration and the recoil is like someone giving your shoulder a little friendly shove.

MGO Member
    The Swede military rifles with their rather quick 1in7.5 twist tend to shoot best with heavier (139 to 160 grain) bullets over medium slow powders. As ol'Joe pointed out, Rx22 works quite well.
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

MGO Member
    Here are some cheap noisemakers for your 6.5 Mauser: http://www.jgsales.com/6.5x55-swedis....-p-92711.html
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

Quote Originally Posted by wombat12 View Post
    The Swede military rifles with their rather quick 1in7.5 twist tend to shoot best with heavier (139 to 160 grain) bullets over medium slow powders. As ol'Joe pointed out, Rx22 works quite well.
    When it comes to this, I like to collect, but first I want a shooter. Not too much a fan of safe queens. No matter what I do, my goal here though is being able to consistently bang 3-6" steel plates @ 100-300 yds w/iron sites from a bench - not a big grouping guy, like hear the steel ring down range. Supposedly these rifles can do that if it's a good one. Sure hope so.

Keep an eye out on all the forums WTS/WTT threads. I have been able to snatch up once used deprimed casings at good prices and also got a hold of 200 Norma never fired casing for .50 per casing. Watch the guns shows too. Never know what will show up there. In the mean time get some PPU and reuse the cases.

I think all the Swedes can definitely shoot like this at 100-300 yards. The key is can your eyes see the targets. I haven't shot my M-96 yet but my 96/38 is a tack driver. I think a lot of the reason for this is that you are not anticipating the heavy recoil like with the .54r and 8mm's. They are a joy to shoot.
    Don't change them - leave them as they were...