Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Steel cased ammo not allowed

So, seeing as I lucked into finding an AK (7.62x39) as my first rifle, I can't seem to find ammo that is not steel cased, but it appears that many ranges don't allow steel cased? I'm hoping to finally get out to a range soon, and of the three ranges that are closest to me, I see from the website that Close Quarters Tactical does not allow steel-cased, and I couldn't find info on Action Impact in Eastpointe, or Peter's in Roseville. The one time I've been to a range, in TN, they did not allow steel-cased, either. A quarter per round for the steel-cased is already pushing the budget for what I was hoping to be a new fun hobby. Does anyone know if they allow steel-cased at Action Impact or Peter's?

Granted, I could take a drive out to Pontiac Lake or the like, but was hoping to find somewhere that was easier to go for some quick target practice now and again. As an aside, what is the stated reason for a range not allowing steel-cased, and what is the real reason? Do they just not want to sort the steel from the brass?

Quote Originally Posted by lurgid View Post
    So, seeing as I lucked into finding an AK (7.62x39) as my first rifle, I can't seem to find ammo that is not steel cased, but it appears that many ranges don't allow steel cased? I'm hoping to finally get out to a range soon, and of the three ranges that are closest to me, I see from the website that Close Quarters Tactical does not allow steel-cased, and I couldn't find info on Action Impact in Eastpointe, or Peter's in Roseville. The one time I've been to a range, in TN, they did not allow steel-cased, either. A quarter per round for the steel-cased is already pushing the budget for what I was hoping to be a new fun hobby. Does anyone know if they allow steel-cased at Action Impact or Peter's?

Granted, I could take a drive out to Pontiac Lake or the like, but was hoping to find somewhere that was easier to go for some quick target practice now and again. As an aside, what is the stated reason for a range not allowing steel-cased, and what is the real reason? Do they just not want to sort the steel from the brass?
    Sorting out Aluminum cases are a pain. Steel is easy when you use a magnet. They must want the brass. I bet steel shooters don't reload so they won't want to take the brass home. Find a friendlier place to shoot.

In times long passed, most of the steel cased ammo shipped to the US was Soviet bloc surplus. It was usually a steel-core round, in a steel case, and was meant to punch through light armor, heavy cover, etc. Steel core ammo is devestating to backstops, and has been known to make it through the back wall of a couple ranges.

Ranges enacted bans on steel core ammo, which was most readily identified by the steel case (Wolf, Tula, Tiger, etc). The fact that most current manufacture Soviet bloc ammo is steel cased with a lead/jacketed lead bullet is balanced against the fact that some of us used to buy crates of Soviet ammo (1000 rounds delivered to your door for $80) and still have piles of it laying around.
    So, the almost unilateral ban of steel case ammo persists as a preventative for the old ammo making it onto the range.

The problem is that a lot of current manufacture 5.56 Nato ammo is of a penetrator design and also has a steel core. I bought a case or two of PMC without realizing it was steel core ammo. So, it and my ample supply of Wolf are reserved for outdoor ranges, the Lapeer pit, etc.

It really has nothing to do with reloaders. The steel cases are easily separated, bagged, and sold for scrap.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

The big thing with steel case is not the case but the steel core or jacket on the bullet. Tula (I believe) makes a copper jacketed round as does Winchester, PPU, and a few others. The steel cores and jackets spark heavily on impact and increase the chance of range fires in the traps. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/25...l-metal-jacket
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    Sorting out Aluminum cases are a pain. Steel is easy when you use a magnet. They must want the brass. I bet steel shooters don't reload so they won't want to take the brass home. Find a friendlier place to shoot.
    Are we discussing steel cased bullets or steel cases?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    Action impact does not allow it. I doubt peter's does either but Ive never gone in there. Best bet is an outdoor range like Pontiac Lake, Lapeer pit etc. Ive yet to find an indoor range that doesnt check for it.

I am a Forum User
    I don't know of any indoor range that allows steel cased ammo for the reasons that RifleGuy mentioned. The only places that I know of that don't care about it are outdoor ranges, which to me are way more fun anyways. Get to enjoy some fresh air, not bump elbows with the guy next to ya and shoot further than 25 yards. Pontiac Lake is my local range and I think it's great.

I am a Forum User
    Outdoor ranges let them

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    The big thing with steel case is not the case but the steel core or jacket on the bullet. Tula (I believe) makes a copper jacketed round as does Winchester, PPU, and a few others. The steel cores and jackets spark heavily on impact and increase the chance of range fires in the traps. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/25...l-metal-jacket
    That is my understanding, as told to me by a RSO. It's the bullet jacket/core that is the problem, not the cases.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudoven View Post
    That is my understanding, as told to me by a RSO. It's the bullet jacket/core that is the problem, not the cases.
    That and as Rifleguy mentioned the fact that a majority of steel cased ammo did have and most still do have either steel cored or bi-metal (steel skinned) plated bullets-it’s just an easy litmus test to rule out steel in projectiles.

Steel core or bi-metal projectiles were so common from Europe countries in fact that I had some Polish surplus ammo from the 50’s for in 7.62 Tokarev that had brass cases but still had mild steel jacketed bullets that were washed or plated copper.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast