Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Winchester 1894 from 1937

I have a MOD 94 in the family, it's in good shape with minor wear on the receiver and minor bluing wear. It is the sporting model and crecent shape on the stock for your shoulder. Anyone got any guess for value?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Hard to saw without pictures. $300-$600 maybe?

MGO Member
    Crescent shape "for shoulder" and "sporting model" aren't really good identifiers. A few pics would be best.

MGO Member
    Sounds like a 24" barreled rifle, caliber and condition will dictate value.

MGO Member
    I've owned "build it yourself" 1894 (and others) Winchester rifles, some built from parts from all decades (common these days). The possibilities are nearly endless for a given rifle to be non-original and often nearly impossible to verify. The older a rifle is, the more use and wear it has had and the less value to anyone but shooters. Collectors want excellent condition FIRST and foremost. Don't believe anything else.

An expert is needed to determine real value. Not an average guy or firearms dealer. The Wm. F. Cody museum has those experts on staff. Finding out from the Cody museum will cost you money IF they have any info on record for the serial number of your Winchester. Then, if they do have info about it. Their info means little in most cases to the real value. Just because a Winchester is old means nothing all by itself. And if it has since been damaged or refinished or parts swapped there will be virtually no collector value. None the less there remains a big market for non-documented "pseudo-collectibles" because many buyers are unaware of the facts.

Having said that. If they are assembled properly a mix and match parts rifle can be a great shooter with a lot of character. If you send one off to a qualified restorer and spend 5 grand you might end up with a rifle that is worth 4 grand immediately and maybe more some day. I believe that the cost to find out some history of the rifle from the Cody Museum may be close to 60 dollars or so. Finally, the odds are quite long that a given serial numbered Winchester can be tied to any particular owner because the Winchester records usually show the distributor or retailer that the rifle was sent to. Not the end user.

I hope this info provides some clarity to the over-all big picture.

btw I agree with John about condition being a huge factor but if the condition is super then caliber is down the line a ways. Things like the era made and any special order items can be more important than caliber to collectors. But to shooter-buyers he is very much correct. A shooter quality 1st generation 1894 in 30-30 in standard format can fetch about 800.00 or so condition depending. The same rifle in the same shape in 38-55 would fetch a premium of a few hundred dollars because the 38-55 is rarer. A 32-40 on the other hand is rarer yet but hard to locate ammo for. So it might bring less or more. The 25-35 Is also worth a few hundred more due to rarity. but remember they all must be in good shooting condition or else prices go the other direction and fast.

I am a Forum User
    Ok, I can't get pictures. On another note, there is a guy selling his 94 with rust on the dude of the action for 250, the rust isn't too bad unless it continues under the foregrip. My question is for just a nice shooting Winchester be a good deal for 250 and could I do the penny and oil trick for the rust or would that be unadvisable, and if that fails, could I buy a set of those off gunbroker or even reblue the ones in it, and would I have to reblue the entire thing for the blue to match on the whole gun. If I got it I would mostly want a shooter but I would want to keep it as original as possible

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    what impact would 32 win spl have on value?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
    what impact would 32 win spl have on value?
    In equal condition, a .32 Win. Special will bring more money than a .30WCF(.30-30). Simply because there were fewer made.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    In equal condition, a .32 Win. Special will bring more money than a .30WCF(.30-30). Simply because there were fewer made.
    You would think so but I tried to sell one awhile back and everybody sneered when it wasn't 30-30. Seems to be much more interest in the 30-30 caliber guns.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkfw1945@yahoo. View Post
    You would think so but I tried to sell one awhile back and everybody sneered when it wasn't 30-30. Seems to be much more interest in the 30-30 caliber guns.
    .32 Win ammo isn't as readily available. Not impossible but not everywhere.
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast