Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

National ordinance 1903A3

I know they are not true surplus being a "reproduction" receiver

Looking online has a mix of horror stories of exploding receivers and others say no issue

Anyone have any direct experience?

MGO Member
    No direct experience, but a little knowledge on them. The negatives usually ding them for the investment cast receivers. I'm sure these same people would not question the strength of a Ruger M77 receiver which has always been a casting. There are reports of stretching after many rounds. If the rifle shows signs of considerable use, I'd take it to a gunsmith and have it checked with go/no go gauges. If I owned it, I'd treat it like I do My low number Rock Island 1903, handloads held to 45,000PSI- which duplicates .308 performace.
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by warbladejm View Post

Looking online has a mix of horror stories of exploding receivers and others say no issue
    Did you come across any actual first hand accounts of receivers exploding? Or were they all 2nd cousin twice removed stories?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John L View Post
    Did you come across any actual first hand accounts of receivers exploding? Or were they all 2nd cousin twice removed stories?
    I did find one post where the person claimed to be the one it blew up on

Most are people saying they have seen it talked about

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    I recently had a friend give me his NO 1903A3 to check out. It was FUBAR and I suggested it be made a wall hanger with at a bare minimum firing pin removed. Had a RA NOS barrel and I am pretty sure it was never finish reamed. The receiver was so out of spec that the bolt would close on a go gauge but if you chambered a round the bolt would not close because the throat was not not cut by a finish reamer and would jam the bullet and case neck and you had to knock it out with a cleaning rod. The bolt was so sloppy in the receiver that it made a two bit whore look like a virgin. This resulted in very inconsistent dear engagement and sometimes she will drop the firing pin just breathing on the trigger.

Beware with N.O. Junk. They are junk and there indeed has been a history of receiver failure in the past.

I suggested the owner harvest and sell the barrel and destroy the receiver but it had sentimental value. He was going to make it a wall hanger. I hope he disabled it so no one in the future gets injured by it.

I am a Forum User
    Wait until you can get a real 1903a3. You wont be disappointed later.

I am a Forum User
    I've got a National Ordinance '03A3 and haven't had any trouble with it, then again I've only fired about 100 rounds through it, but they were modern hunting loads by S&B. No rough extraction or anything, and cases came out clean after ejection.