Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

80% lower pistol

how would I go about registering a pistol that I've made at home (preferably in lamens terms)? I have seen people say just put non virgin rec, or just fill it out as the buyer/seller but I'm not sure what to do. help please

I am a Forum User
    *Edited*

Apparently the info I provided was wrong. I based my reply on the MSP telling me I had to mark a homemade pistol with a serial before I could submit a registration for it. I also know I would get a call or a door knock from my local PD if I dropped off an RI-60 void of a serial number even if I marked the box to indicate it didn't have one.

Either way, I guess my reply was legally incorrect though!
    Last edited by kdogg; 05-18-2017 at 09:17 AM.

There's a few threads on this already...

You DO NOT need a serial number to own it. Fill out the Ri-60 as stated, but list the serial number as "NSN," or "No serial Number."

Keep in mind, you may want some kind of identifier on it in case it gets stolen. Something like "Stolen from jonnyboy117."

Quote Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
    Well, Federal law does not require a firearm that you build to have a serial number. Some state laws do though. Michigan requires you to register a pistol so a serial number is required for that.

You would need to come up with a personalized serial number, engrave or stamp it on the lower/frame and then fill out an RI-60 or purchasing permit with you listed as BOTH the seller and buyer and send it or drop it off.

You could also pay a trophy engraving shop to toss a serial number on there for you too. The required specs are online if you google.
    As far as I know, this is for manufacturers to do. Or an individual when they form 1 an item. Which is not the case here.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    so how exactly would I fill that out then?(just put n/a when it's asks for ffl number)

Correct. "N/A" for FFL number. You'll need a CPL number to use the RI-060 form though. If you don't have a CPL, you'll need to request a "Purchase Permit" from a police department. If that's the case, basically fill it out the same. You will be the "Seller" and the Buyer" no matter which form you use.

If you run into anything else that doesn't apply, put "N/A." (Like the "NICS transaction number.")