Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Looking at new pieces......what to go with?

I have a few guns I am looking at and was wondering what you guys input is on them. I definitely want to get an M&P 9mm shield....Definitely want an AK and a AR15. The AK and AR doesnt have to be fancy. Also was wondering what are some good ones to look into.

I am a Forum User
    My advice on the M&P Shield - shoot one before you buy it to see if you like it. I got a Shield .40, didn't shoot it first, and ended up hating it (mostly due to the trigger).

As far the AR - the sky's the limit. If you're trying to stay "budget" on one right now so you can mod it later, I'd recommend not getting one with the standard style front sight with integrated gas block (like what comes on the M&P 15 Sport II). If you ever want to put a floating handrail over that you'll either have to replace it or cut he top of it off. Either way it's a pain.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Guns are like shoes. I don't buy them 'til I try them on and walk around the store in them. I don't buy guns without handling them and shooting them first. Most people I know that have bought guns without trying them leave them in the safe and then buy something they really like.

BTW, I know a lot of gun owners and I don't know any gun owners that refer to guns as a "pieces" unless they are pieces of sh-t.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

Putting on my best black "internet operator" hat and making the statement: "Let the mission drive the gear!"

Now, what do you want to do with these?

You might find that you really need a little better than just an "entry level" gun for some applications.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Was the trigger pretty heavy on your shield?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by esq_stu View Post
    Guns are like shoes. I don't buy them 'til I try them on and walk around the store in them. I don't buy guns without handling them and shooting them first. Most people I know that have bought guns without trying them leave them in the safe and then buy something they really like.

BTW, I know a lot of gun owners and I don't know any gun owners that refer to guns as a "pieces" unless they are pieces of sh-t.
    Good advice....and as to the term "piece", just to be clear...I am from Flint and I am new to being a "legit" gun owner so please excuse my lack of proper jargon.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Putting on my best black "internet operator" hat and making the statement: "Let the mission drive the gear!"

Now, what do you want to do with these?

You might find that you really need a little better than just an "entry level" gun for some applications.
    Well, I have a S&W Sigma 9mm for home (protection) and I was hoping to get the MP 9mm shield for concealment while Im in the streets of Flint for personal protection. Nothing major as of yet. Again, I am very new to being a gun owner so I am not very verse in all things that go "bang" yet. Also, why is it considered an "entry level" gun?

Quote Originally Posted by EWeath02 View Post
    Well, I have a S&W Sigma 9mm for home (protection) and I was hoping to get the MP 9mm shield for concealment while Im in the streets of Flint for personal protection. Nothing major as of yet. Again, I am very new to being a gun owner so I am not very verse in all things that go "bang" yet. Also, why is it considered an "entry level" gun?
    You'll know the answer after you use it awhile. For instance, a gun that jams once every other magazine might be fine for shooting cans but, would you want to trust your life to it? Top end guns have details that you won't appreciate until you have more experience. Join a club with IDPA shoots (International Defensive Pistol Association). These guys will have tried many kinds of pistols and will be a wealth of information to a new shooter.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I have the shield 9mm with green crimson trace and love it, just purchased today the shield 45 and think I will love just as much. The shield period for a carry gun in my opinion (and many others) is 1 of the best and best shooting small guns out there especially for there price. I also have the Taurus PT709 which I like also

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by i64X View Post
    My advice on the M&P Shield - shoot one before you buy it to see if you like it. I got a Shield .40, didn't shoot it first, and ended up hating it (mostly due to the trigger).

As far the AR - the sky's the limit. If you're trying to stay "budget" on one right now so you can mod it later, I'd recommend not getting one with the standard style front sight with integrated gas block (like what comes on the M&P 15 Sport II). If you ever want to put a floating handrail over that you'll either have to replace it or cut he top of it off. Either way it's a pain.
    What are some entry level options that match that criteria?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast