Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelm_ski View Post
    When it say Veterans Affairs that can cover a broad spectrum such as the V.A. hospitals and other buildings BUT I would be willing to bet they can and will be making amendments .
    Except the bill, now public act, doesn't say anything about "Veterans Affairs" in it.

What is the difference between Military affairs and Veterans affairs ?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelm_ski View Post
    What is the difference between Military affairs and Veterans affairs ?
    State vs Federal

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    For clarification, this bill only allows concealed carry in areas under the control of the state TAG (Army National Guard Armories and bases and Air National Guard bases.) It has nothing to do with US Department of Veterans Affairs property.

Even then, the areas you can carry on a state military installation is limited. For instance, at Selfridge, you cannot carry a firearm in any configuration inside the DeCA owned commissary. You also cannot carry in any area posted, such as the flight line restricted area. Therefore, you will not be allowed to concealed carry on base for the 2020 airshow at Selfridge.
    Last edited by Purebass04; 01-08-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Additional info

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Purebass04 View Post
    You also cannot carry in any area posted, such as the flight line restricted area. Therefore, you will not be allowed to concealed carry on base for the 2020 airshow at Selfridge.
    The flight line isn't under the authority and control of the TAG?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jgillmanjr View Post
    The flight line isn't under the authority and control of the TAG?
    Just passing the info along. Not arguing semantics. The flightline at Selfridge is posted as a no carry area. I work out there and I'm not willing to be the test case. But you're more than welcome to be if you want to give it a try. There is a big yellow sign that says you can carry a concealed weapon EXCEPT in posted areas.

The bill was the solution in search of a problem. It doesn’t do any harm as concealed carry was already clearly defined under MCL 28.425c.

There was no statute in this section that authorized the Guard to restrict concealed carry.

While there are many federal buildings on base, many of them are not. And the ones that are not that have the red sign, they mean nothing and visitors can ignore them with impunity because it’s not against the law for them to carry there. Those red signs on non-federal buildings Are equally as enforceable as they would be if they were on your local Secretary of State office.
    Last edited by Jared1981; 01-09-2019 at 04:14 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Just passing the info along. Not arguing semantics. The flightline at Selfridge is posted as a no carry area. I work out there and I'm not willing to be the test case. But you're more than welcome to be if you want to give it a try. There is a big yellow sign that says you can carry a concealed weapon EXCEPT in posted areas.
    The flight line is likely controlled and/or owned by DOD, and administered by MING.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared1981 View Post
    The bill was the solution in search of a problem. It doesn’t do any harm as concealed carry was already clearly defined under MCL 28.425c.

There was no statute in this section that authorized the Guard to restrict concealed carry.

While there are many federal buildings on base, many of them are not. And the ones that are not that have the red sign, they mean nothing and visitors can ignore them with impunity because it’s not against the law for them to carry there. Those red signs on non-federal buildings Are equally as enforceable as they would be if they were on your local Secretary of State office.
    I imagine you're correct, however, the base commander could certainly trespass you from entering the installation again. And for military members, carrying a weapon in one of those areas could certainly bring charges under Article 92 of the UCMJ.

I imagine you're correct, however, the base commander could certainly trespass you from entering the installation again. And for military members, carrying a weapon in one of those areas could certainly bring charges under Article 92 of the UCMJ.
    UCMJ applies to state national guard???

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast