Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Home Gun Range question

I was curious as to what are the laws for having an at home gun range? Like, can I convert my garage into a small target practice area just for pistols? Self defense gun training type, short range? The garage is roughly 25-30 ft long, 25 ft wide and nearly 30 ft tall. Granted Id have to do a lot of sound proofing, but is it possible? Just curious.

It will all depend on the local municipalities' regulations/ordinances on the discharge of firearms. They are NOT preempted, and indoor/outdoor does not matter.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    In Flint?

Nobody would notice a few more gunshots daily.
    Have at it.

Have you considered using air soft guns? Backstop could consist of hanging heavy blankets and would allow a 360 degree range in your garage. Add cardboard cut out bad guy targets and all sorts of self defense scenarios become possible. Airsoft guns are not very loud while being very realistic and the blowback ones operate like a real gun. And, although I am not an attorney so this is not legal advice, from what I can find air soft guns are not classified as firearms. Although I suppose it might be possible that some local ordinance about them is on the books.

Video at the link below.....

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Colt_1...ull_Metal/2537

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Although I suppose it might be possible that some local ordinance about them is on the books.
    Preempted: MCL 123-1104

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Preempted: MCL 123-1104

As your link says - cities and chartered townships can still prohibit discharge of firearms and air-powered pneumatic guns within their limits, subject to the listed limitations

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    As your link says - cities and chartered townships can still prohibit discharge of firearms and air-powered pneumatic guns within their limits, subject to the listed limitations
    And those "limitations" create the preemption.

(b) Prohibiting the discharge of pneumatic guns in any area within the jurisdiction of the city or charter township that is so heavily populated as to make that conduct dangerous to the inhabitants of that area, except that an ordinance shall not prohibit the discharge of pneumatic guns at authorized target ranges, on other property where firearms may be discharged, or on or within private property with the permission of the owner or possessor of that property if conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property.
    The OP was talking about shooting inside his garage.

We verified with the Township Police Department where we live, what are the laws for firearm discharge. Thought of making an outdoor range on our property since we have acreage. The officer consulted showed us a map of what is and isn't allowed as well as a printed document with information specific to our area. Bottom line, basically in residential areas where we live, it's taboo and nearly everything in the township here is residential so even on large properties, large isn't large enough.

The post ^ about Flint had me ROFLMAO. Sad, but true from what I hear.