Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Good introductory shotgun?

I'm thinking of getting a Mossberg 500, the one where you get 3 different barrels. It would have the shorter smooth barrel when around the house for home defense, but I'd use a longer smooth barrel when shooting trap/skeet. I'm really looking forward to shooting trap/skeet at Island Lake.

A very friendly and well-meaning guy working at a local gun shop was trying to steer me towards a Remington 870 for trap/skeet, and called the 500 "the walmart of shotguns".

While I'm sure that his assessment of the Mossberg has some truth to it, I really like the adaptability of having 3 different barrel options to swap out, and the Mossberg's price.

What do you all think?

MGO Member
    I have a Mossberg 500 and shot trap with it fairly successful until I upgraded to a BT99+. I also took several deer with said 500. It didnt break yet and I prefer the Mossberg safety over the Remington.

I run

MGO Member
    Name:  20161108_200420.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  97.2 KB
    Heres the deer set up with a slug barrel.

I run

Quote Originally Posted by Just Andrew View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Mossberg 500, the one where you get 3 different barrels. It would have the shorter smooth barrel when around the house for home defense, but I'd use a longer smooth barrel when shooting trap/skeet. I'm really looking forward to shooting trap/skeet at Island Lake.

A very friendly and well-meaning guy working at a local gun shop was trying to steer me towards a Remington 870 for trap/skeet, and called the 500 "the walmart of shotguns".

While I'm sure that his assessment of the Mossberg has some truth to it, I really like the adaptability of having 3 different barrel options to swap out, and the Mossberg's price.

What do you all think?
    870. (Drops mic)

I am a Forum User
    I think it is a lot like the debate between Ford and Chevy. In full disclosure I have two Mossberg shotguns and a Ford and a Chevy.

A quick check of their website shows that Walmart carries two different versions of the Remington 870 and no Mossberg 500s. Actually Mossberg makes an even more basic shotgun called the Maverick which has mostly the same parts as the 500.

They are both entry level shotguns that will do everything you need until you start to get interested in scoring well at competitive shooting activities. The choice between 870 and 500 is mostly over how you like the safety, and which one you can find a good deal on first.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

check dunhams. they often have the 500 with a 28" ported bird barrel and a 24" rifled slug barrel with a basic red dot optic for about $300
    you won't find a deal like that on the 870. the mossberg will work just fine, at a great price.
    or pay more for the low end 870. it will also work, but you'll probably pay $100 more and only get one barrel.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

My first shotgun was a J key era 870. I bought it over a same priced Saiga 12 (which Im still kicking myself over) before the Saiga took off in popularity. It was the worst firearm I had ever owned. Lots of failure to extract issues. Either the extractor would slip off the brass leaving the hull in the chamber, or the hull would be so stuck in the chamber I couldn't even pump it. There were finish quality issues as well. I ended up just selling it instead of sending it back to remington.

I realize there are bum examples of every model out there, but this experience really turned me off to any modern remington product. I have had some fine examples of older 870's come though my hands in the years since, and have been impressed with the pre 90's quality remington once had.

While Im not a huge fan of the perceived build quality of the basic 500 or maverick (the wood is bleh), I do like its operating and feeding system. In fact, the only traditional pump gun I own anymore is a 590A1 (if you don't know, the 590A1 is the military variant of the 500. Same thing but beefier), and while its not value oriented like the 500 or maverick, the action is faster to feed IMO with its elevator design (you're not fighting against the elevator to feed the magazine like an 870, leaving an area to "drop" a shell before pushing it in) and I really do like the double extractor design. While I rarely shoot it now that I have a KSG, the 590A1 is one of my favorite firearms, simply for the way its built like a piece of military hardware it was designed to be. I find myself faster with a 500/ 590A1 compared to a 870 with the placement of its controls (namely the bolt release).....but Im referring to tacticool type shooting...which you probably could care less about with your first purchase.

BUT.....all of the anecdotal things said above...... it really just comes down to what the shooter likes to hold and operate better. The average shooter could care less about dual extractors, and more about value for the money. The mossberg package that comes with the three barrels is a great bang for your buck. If you want a better quality 500, they do make a "fancy" version of the 500 with a nicer metal finishing, bluing, and wood (kind of like what the 870 wingmaster is) for a reasonable price as well.

Maverick/ 500/ 590/ 590A1 feed port

870 feed port

Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 06-11-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Banned
    The new 12 guage 870's have a MIM ejector which can cause issues when replacement is needed. You usually need to refinish the receiver to do it right, unless you get real lucky cutting off the rivet head and re-using it.

I have both, I have to lean to the Mossburg. Like the safety better, get more for your money with the extra barrels AND I shoot it better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    I have both but I prefer the Mossberg safety personally. The 870 has nicer wood though, but you'll sure pay for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast