Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Member

Thumbs up Walker Razor XV Ear Bud Headset

I recently obtained the above mentioned headset for shooting as a father's day present. The XV version contains Bluetooth while the X version doesn't. I had actually asked for the X version but my wife thought the BT/'V version would be better for me since it would allow me to hear my phone while shooting and/or using my chainsaw at my hunting property.

The X version MSRP is around $120 while the XV runs around $160. Street price is about $20 less on ebay and/or if you shop around.

I have substantial hearing loss. Without my hearing aids I only have 40% hearing in one ear and 60% in the other. Consequently while on the range I can't hear range commands and with ear plugs or muffs I can't hear anything. I usually have to switch back and forth between hearing protection and hearing aids. Electronic muffs are better but tend to be distorted not to mention they interfere with wearing glasses, wide brimmed hats, while shooting rifles and are uncomfortable to wear in warm weather.

The Walker ear bud headset is worn around the neck and the buds extend to fit into the ear. The buds automatically retract with the push of a button. There is push button volume control for the headset and separate one for the bluetooth. Paired with your phone or other BT device you can answer/talk on the phone or listen to music etc on it. They come with three sets of different size ear plugs and are listed as having a 31 DB reduction rating.

I been out shooting with them twice so far. For the first time ever I was able to hear normal conversation going on around me. I usually have to turn electronic ear muffs all the way up to hear around me but these I had to turn down. I found them so comfortable to wear that I sometimes forget I am wearing them. After shooting once I walked back to my truck and only noticed I had them on when my phone rang.

I don't have a lot of experience with high end electronic muffs but I think these Walker ear bud headset works well for my particular type of hearing situation.

I give them a big thumbs up.

More info below, though that's not where I got them.

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/...-headsets.aspx

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the good setup and review. I saw these recently on sale with Midway and have been wondering if they were worth the money. I will be interested to see if others have had the same experience. I will also be interested 1) how they last longer term and 2) how long battery last when compared to advertised.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MGO Member
    Good point. I should have mentioned that they have LIPO 250mAH rechargeable batteries which they say are good for 10 hours. They charge via a micro USB port and the cord is included. I suppose you could plug them into a back up battery if they ran out while you were out on the range. As far as I can tell the batteries are not replaceable.

And yes, I just checked and the X version is $90 and the XV is $110 at Midway

I am a Forum User
    I saw those and I was really interested. I saw some really good sales on them also. However, I read a lot of negative reviews on retailer websites like Cabela's. I really like the idea and NRR rating, but I'm not quite sure if I really want a invest in them if they're not getting be good. Please keep us posted and how you like them after you've used them a bit more.

I see that they have a new Silencer Electronic Ear Plugs NRR 25dB out now as well, but I'd rather have a little higher NRR. Those are more costly but it look interesting as well. Only time will tell all the reviews go on them.

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs NRR 22 dB. I double up with about the same NRR ear plug underneath and then turn the volume on the ear muffs up so that I can hear well, but I get additional hearing protection above what I would get with just the muffs. The most don't get it done when you're on a lot of high-power or magnum revolvers under a covered shooting point particular when some of them have brakes on them. This works really well for me the exception of issues with stocks sometimes.

MGO Member
    I have not used them indoors or under a covered range. I rarely if ever shoot indoors and only occasionally at an outdoor covered range. I will keep people informed how they do as those situations come up and over time.

I bought a pair last fall and found them to bother my ears after a hour or two of use. They came with a couple of sized rubber ear pieces but it is the inter piece of the buds that I think is the problem. Other then that they work fine.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    2 Week Update:

I've been trying out the 3 different sized foam ear buds that come with the unit. I've found the middle sized to be the best for me.

I since worn these while cutting the grass several times, riding my bike listening to audio books on my phone several times and while using my chainsaw. Grass cutting is typical 40 minutes of use. Bike riding is typically 2 hours of use at a time (about 25 miles of riding) and one day I used them cutting trees down on my hunting property for 6 hours.

With the right ear buds installed they do block out noise quite well. For me they are also quite comfortable to wear while working or riding my bike. I don't know how water resistant they might be I was sweating heavily when cutting wood and riding my bike but they were still working afterward. They are certainly cooler to use than ear muffs.

The microphones for the ear pieces are in each ear piece itself. While riding my bicycle, I had to turn the volume most of the way down to get rid of wind noise. At the same time one can turn up the blue tooth volume in order to hear the audio/phone.

That's beneficial with the type of hearing loss I have. I often have trouble hearing or understanding audio on regular ear phones or ear buds.

Bottom line: I still give them a thumbs up.

I will be going up to my property over the weekend to test some rifles and pistol. I will see how they do then.
    Last edited by Garymac; 10-09-2017 at 01:33 PM.

MGO Member
    One month update,

used them while sighting in, testing some loads using a couple ARs this past weekend. Again they worked fine, they will cut out loud sounds though I tend to turn the volume all the way down if I'm shooting by myself. Can't hear much of anything with the volume all the way down. I still find them comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

I now use them all the time while riding my bike to listen to music or audio books. You can turn the sound on an off remotely and answer and hang up the phone as well. The do the work of both a audio headset for listening to music/phone and as noise cancelling hearing protection.
    Last edited by Garymac; 10-09-2017 at 01:33 PM.

MGO Member
    3 Month Update....

I continue to use the Walker XVs for shooting, cutting the grass, chainsawing, bike riding and simply listening to audio books on my phone. My wife and I flew down to Florida to visit inlaws and I wore them on the plane to listen to audio and cut out the ambient noise. Very handy.

I taught a pistol class in September (outdoors) and they worked well. Left them in nearly the whole time and didn't have to wear my hearing aids while conversing with my students. I use them every time I go shooting now.

Familiarity often breeds contempt but I like them more now than I did before.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    3 Month Update....

I continue to use the Walker XVs for shooting, cutting the grass, chainsawing, bike riding and simply listening to audio books on my phone. My wife and I flew down to Florida to visit inlaws and I wore them on the plane to listen to audio and cut out the ambient noise. Very handy.

I taught a pistol class in September (outdoors) and they worked well. Left them in nearly the whole time and didn't have to wear my hearing aids while conversing with my students. I use them every time I go shooting now.

Familiarity often breeds contempt but I like them more now than I did before.
    Great to hear your using them so frequently and working well. Guess its time for me to buy some

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast