Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ammo storage cans ONE YEAR experiment at the bottom of a muddy pond!

Published on Jun 22, 2017
    The Health Ranger conducted a one-year experiment by sinking ammo storage containers to the bottom of a muddy pond, then leaving them there for a full year to find out what would happen. The results may completely surprise you...

[YOUTUBE]MqIUPAj4PbU[/YOUTUBE]

I store every last round I have that aren't loaded into a gun in new .30, .50, and 40mm cans. I have done so since I was 15. Water/ humidity control is the biggest reason why, and seeing this adds some peace of mind for long term storage. I'm impressed.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Informative test. However, would it have been necessary to use expensive ammo for the test? Why not a few pieces of cardboard,a sponge, or crumpled up newspaper?

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    Informative test. However, would it have been necessary to use expensive ammo for the test? Why not a few pieces of cardboard,a sponge, or crumpled up newspaper?
    ..because the YooToob naysayers would say it was an invalid test than.

MGO Member
    With only paper and sponge it would of floated

All of my ammo IS in plastic Plano boxes. It WILL be in 50 cal steel ammo cans as soon as they arrive from PSA .My brother's house recently caught fire. He had ammo in several containers. The stuff he had in a steel GI can looks perfect. The other stuff was exposed to water & heat. Not sure if it's even any good now. Anybody want to buy some Plano ammo cans for cheap?
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't mil ammo cans "explosion proof"? Meaning, if the box gets hot and starts cooking off rounds, the box will contain the individual pops.

I'm not sure if that's true, but I remember hearing something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't mil ammo cans "explosion proof"? Meaning, if the box gets hot and starts cooking off rounds, the box will contain the individual pops.

Actually "explosion proof" means the opposite of what people think it means.

Explosion proof containers are designed to rip open and vent any excess pressure before it climbs to a point where the container becomes the bomb casing.
    In an event where individual rounds start to cook off, it will contain that also, until it reaches a critical level and a seam opens up.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post

Don't know about fireproof, but for fun I took a surplus Mil .50cal can and fired 9mm, 38sp, 45acp, 22lr, .223 & 5.56 into it.. only the 5.56 exited but that was 855. all the others only penetrated one side. I was very surprised how tough they were.

MGO LIFE Member
    My computers sound card hasn't worked since I rebuilt it recently, so its important to preface my comment in that light;

At 2:35 the video points out (yeah I know why am I watching a video with no sound lol, I don't know) a decent weather seal looks like a rather hefty seal. Someone may be able to answer my question, I do not remember seeing seals in military issue cans, I notice that in a quick google search ammo cans are all over the place but seem to be on civilian versions, like the federal cans, etc most of the military cans with mil print details on the side are pictured closed. I just don't remember seeing that seal, always had to keep tented/protected from rain, water as much as unauthorized access. I just didn't think the standard can was waterproof, never bothered to look and see if aftermarket cans maintained or added a seal. I guess maybe I just never payed any attention to the can itself and never noticed the seal on them?

They are not fireproof, that is certain, still better off than plastic in that regard. Around 2007, we shot a mil can for 556 (not its 50cal bigger brother can) with 5.56 I recall was M193, at 25meters, the can was filled with water, and the backside of the can had a about a 1" hole blown out.

Edit: either way I guess my biggest issue with mil ammo cans is I tend to stack things vertically to make the best use of floor space in my small house, and the handles on those cans tend to make stacking rather difficult, so currently am using the plastic "ammo crate" they work for me for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast