Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Why does a 1911 cost so much?

I would think that with a design over a 100 years old, and no licensing fees to pay, that a 1911 would be much cheaper than they are.

You can buy a 1911 for $450 - $500. Not bad, really. There is a significant amount of hand fitting required which drives up cost.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

it costs more to make fitted machined metal guns than than injection molded plastic ones, i guess
    supposedly, glock can take a few frame rail inserts and a serial number tag and squirt a frame around them in about 8 minutes.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Look at the number of parts too. A 1911 is very complex next to a Glock. At least twice the parts count. And of those parts, many need to be machined or heat treated, then hand fitted, and coated.

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_0434.jpg
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 07-05-2017 at 10:04 AM.

I am a Forum User
    For the same reason it takes a ton of money to make a Ford Model T as fast, efficient, safe and fully equipped with nice things like power windows, power brakes, power steering and air conditioning as a brand new KIA

It's a very old design.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Andrew View Post
    I would think that with a design over a 100 years old, and no licensing fees to pay, that a 1911 would be much cheaper than they are.
    Not so expensive, you can get a great 1911 under 400$ ... less than a Glock, M&P, Sig, Walther or any mainstream full/compact striker polymer wonder-gun. BTW I love my 9mm Walther PPQ 5" but it was almost 600$. So I don't see 1911 pricing out of line.

The real reason very nice ones cost more -- lot more handwork, assembly, fit & polish. The difference between a +1000$ 1911 and a 375$ 1911 is some nicer(read no MIM) parts and the amount of handwork/fit/finishing that is put into it. My favorite 1911 is an RIA Tactical, under 500$ to whit I added a bit of hand polishing of trigger assembly, feed ramp and rails. Put a 20$ Wilson match grade bushing and bit of white paint on the blade so my old eyes see it better. It's shoots better than I can, for over 500$ less than the Springfield TRP I bought, then sold later when I found I like the RIA better. The Springfield TRP is a slightly better pistol, but not 500+ dollars better. Maybe if I was in combat or a pro IPDA shooter or something like that, I could see a high end pistol, but I punch paper and do some steel challenge stuff, etc.. just don't see the need. I have over 3500rds through my RIA, no failures, mushrooming, wear issues at this time.

I am a Forum User
    I'm starting to see some cheaper options out there.
    http://grabagun.com/rem-1911-45acp-5...lnt-2-mgs.html
    https://www.remington.com/sites/defa...uns_Rebate.pdf

What do you all think of the quality of Ruger and Remington?

I am a Forum User
    If you read a lot of reports, the Ruger 1911's get high marks, & many owners really like them.
    That said, I've owned over a dozen 1911's & none were Rugers. Most likely will never own one.
    My preference is for real steel pistols. Prefer forged, over cast, steel frames, or aluminum.
    Plastic is for toys, not guns. (IMO)
    Ruger uses a lot of MIM parts, as do many other brands, to keep down cost, & then, price.
    Remington is a step up from Ruger, IMO, but I would chose Springfield or Colt over either.

The made-in the-Phillipines 1911's (RIA, Armscorp, Citadel, American Classic, ATI, etc..)
    offer bargain 1911's where you get more than you pay for, if you want an entry level pistol.
    Rock Island Armory seems to offer the most for the $..again, IMO

1911 owners are usually very opinionated, some believe that only a Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer,
    or even Dan Wesson, should be the only brand 1911 to even consider purchasing.

my advice ? Buy what you like & can afford.

one other consideration,:consider a 1911 in 9mm , rather than 45 acp (unless you've gotta have a 45)

Reasons: Lighter bullet weights generate less recoil, so 9's are easier to shoot accurately.
    & most important.. ammo cost. (9mm is around HALF the cost of 45acp )
    You can shoot 100 rds of 9mm for the same cost, or less, than a 50 rds of 45.
    Last edited by joepistol; 07-07-2017 at 01:45 PM.

I believe that the reason for the high prices for a 1911 is simply the popularity and love for them .

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just Andrew View Post
    I'm starting to see some cheaper options out there.
    http://grabagun.com/rem-1911-45acp-5...lnt-2-mgs.html
    https://www.remington.com/sites/defa...uns_Rebate.pdf

What do you all think of the quality of Ruger and Remington?
    That first link is a great deal. It's about $40 under dealer cost.

I'm tempted to get one at that price!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast