Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SKS / Mosin Rifle purchase choices

Mosin's seem to fluctuate in price $150-$300, for common Russian and for common Finnish rifles $250 +. SKS.. regarding The common Yogos seem to be holding around $300-$400, the same goes with Chinese assuming they are matching and in original configuration / good condition. The Russian SKS rifles usually demand a slight premium. If your looking for a fair price I would recommend you check out a few Gun shows. It's rare to find a good price at a sporting good store and even more rare to find a good deal here on the market place. Good luck.
    Last edited by Mark AP; 08-05-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I am a Forum User
    A C&R license is well worth the money based on the deals you can find on gunbroker. I sniped a Type 53 for $85 and a wartime Tula 91/30 for $200 within the last year. Just took delivery last week of an all-matching chinese-soviet SKS for under $400 shipped as well. The $50 SKS days are long gone but there are still deals on the auction sites if you know where to look.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Check out Classic Firearms https://www.classicfirearms.com/
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

You can get Mosins and SKS at Southern Ohio Guns http://www.southernohiogun.com/. You can call then and find out what their process is. Some are C&R guns like the Mosins and possibly the SKS's. Would be a good idea to call them and find out what their process would be for you. This is about the cheapest you will find them.
    Don't change them - leave them as they were...

I am a Forum User
    I remember paying $49 for an M-44 Mosin Nagant back in 2002ish. Now they seem to always be at or over $200. I still see them at Dunhams.

If you are still in the market, I think the best source is local but many of those sellers want too much money for them. Armslist used to be a good local option, but even these are being priced ridiculously. The only Mosins that are staying somewhat cheap are those refurbished in Romania and used in the Balkans, i.e., not Russian refurbs. Many of these were selling not long ago for under $175. Some of the bores are a little pitted but usually have pretty strong rifling. Really, pretty good shooters. I have a couple I would sell for around $175.

Over the last 3-4 years I purchased a good assortment of Turkish Mausers for under $200. These are exceptional rifles and I rate their accuracy right up there with the Swiss and Swede offerings as long as the bore is good. There are also multiple variations from those that are rebarreled German Gew88's to the late '30's and early '40's ATF and K.Kale varieties. You can also find some of the Yugo 24/47's, M-48's and M-52C's that are still available and pretty good prices.

SKS's are becoming more and more uncommon in the market place. It wasn't long ago that you could pick up a nice Chinese for a very good price. Same can be said for the Yugo's, although it seems that their supplies are diminishing too.

Any more, I hate to say, you have to pay the going rate for any Milsurps. If you want pristine refurbished (Mosin) models, they will cost you about double what they were selling for 2-3 years ago. Keep an eye on GunBroker and this site. Every once in a while some pretty good guns show up that are deals. Today, a guy listed about four Chinese T-53's on GunBroker. Not particularly collectible since none are likely not matching. But these usually have very smooth actions and I suspect will go for under $200. They just don't look too good, but I'd bet if the bores are decent, they would shoot great.

Whatever you decide to do, remember that what you purchase today has historically appreciated in value. There is no reason to think that they won't continue to appreciate for the foreseeable future. For example, you might pay $225 for a Mosin refurb today but next year, it could be selling for $300.

Quote Originally Posted by qz2026 View Post
    If you are still in the market, I think the best source is local but many of those sellers want too much money for them. Armslist used to be a good local option, but even these are being priced ridiculously. The only Mosins that are staying somewhat cheap are those refurbished in Romania and used in the Balkans, i.e., not Russian refurbs. Many of these were selling not long ago for under $175. Some of the bores are a little pitted but usually have pretty strong rifling. Really, pretty good shooters. I have a couple I would sell for around $175.

Over the last 3-4 years I purchased a good assortment of Turkish Mausers for under $200. These are exceptional rifles and I rate their accuracy right up there with the Swiss and Swede offerings as long as the bore is good. There are also multiple variations from those that are rebarreled German Gew88's to the late '30's and early '40's ATF and K.Kale varieties. You can also find some of the Yugo 24/47's, M-48's and M-52C's that are still available and pretty good prices.

SKS's are becoming more and more uncommon in the market place. It wasn't long ago that you could pick up a nice Chinese for a very good price. Same can be said for the Yugo's, although it seems that their supplies are diminishing too.

Any more, I hate to say, you have to pay the going rate for any Milsurps. If you want pristine refurbished (Mosin) models, they will cost you about double what they were selling for 2-3 years ago. Keep an eye on GunBroker and this site. Every once in a while some pretty good guns show up that are deals. Today, a guy listed about four Chinese T-53's on GunBroker. Not particularly collectible since none are likely not matching. But these usually have very smooth actions and I suspect will go for under $200. They just don't look too good, but I'd bet if the bores are decent, they would shoot great.

Whatever you decide to do, remember that what you purchase today has historically appreciated in value. There is no reason to think that they won't continue to appreciate for the foreseeable future. For example, you might pay $225 for a Mosin refurb today but next year, it could be selling for $300.
    300 for a mosin is not bad, but at a certain point they cannot probably go more than a nice new hunting rifle, they made so many of them, and they have rusty shot out barrels, counter bored etc.

I just do not see them as $1,000 rifles.

Now sks was way undervalued as a $75-150 rifle, as they are milled, were in good or excellent shape, and to make a similar rifle state side would have cost $700-1000 bucks at the time they were selling for 150.

I am a Forum User
    If you're impatiant, really the only sure-fire way to get your hands on a Mosin is to pay the rediculous Cabela's price. At least there you can choose what one you want. I'd rather be patient though and wait for a much cheaper source to get them in stock. Just think - they're only going to go up in price from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by That one dude View Post
    If you're impatiant, really the only sure-fire way to get your hands on a Mosin is to pay the rediculous Cabela's price. At least there you can choose what one you want. I'd rather be patient though and wait for a much cheaper source to get them in stock. Just think - they're only going to go up in price from here on out.
    I believe patience is the key not only for Mosins but for all Milsurps in general. Seller's, for the most part, truly believe that the sky is the limit for these rifles, i.e., Cabala's, Classic and most internet sellers. I really don't subscribe to this thought. There is a point where people will simply not purchase them anymore and I think we are there or, at least, very close to this time. I also think that most collector's coffers are full and they aren't looking for many new additions especially with the prices many seller's at places like GunBroker, other auction sites and gun shows are offering. I can't tell you the number of barely "fair" rifle sellers are asking top dollars for this summer. And, of course, they aren't selling. The sellers that are getting the big bucks are selling the more rare rifles or rifles in very good to excellent condition. For someone coming into the hobby now, you must do your research, know what you want, what their true value is and, above all, be patient. I have recently found a couple smoking deals that, for reasons I can't explain, people simply passed on. Recently I purchased a Triangle 1 (formally called DDR's although that was debunked) M-44 in virtually excellent condition for $250. Most sellers are asking $100 more for basic refurbished M-44's anymore and many people are paying those prices. I've had my eyes open for one of these for quite some time. Although never used by the German DDR organization, the Triangle 1 (Central Artillery Armament base #41 - Irkutsk) are very uncommon with most of those refurbishments were applied to 91/30 rifles. For a collector, this was a very good and inexpensive purchase. Recently, also, I found the same sort of deal on an 1895 Chilean Mauser in 7mm. That rifle had a little surface rust and had a mismatched floor plate. But, after well over 400 rifles I knew that it would clean up nicely - a little elbow grease transformed this rifle into a real beauty without destroying any of it's collectible value leaving not one hint of pitting. The market is in flux right now. Nice collectible Mosins like 91/59's and 91/38's and M-38's have lost their value or, at least, have stayed the same (but mostly lower) than in previous years. Within the last year I was able to acquire a 1920, RSFSR Tula 91/59 for 1/2 of what I feel it's worth since it is likely a one-of-a-kind rifle. The same goes for a NEW 91/38 not long ago and there are only two of these known to exist in the US. Whereas, with the 91/30's, sellers seem to think they are worth a fortune. Know what you want do your homework and keep an eye out and, above all, be patient. Take a look at the "sold" auctions and see what they are actually selling for. Ignore seller's high starting prices, ridiculous shipping prices and reserves and you'll find what you are looking for at a reasonable price. If you bid, set a maximum you will pay for it and stick to that ending price. You'll lose a lot, but eventually you will find what you want. Ask the guys here and in other forums what you should pay for a particular rifle. If you are going to pay a premium, make sure the gun you buy is period correct for the specific model. One other piece of advice is like any other rifle - bore, bore, bore...

I am a Forum User
    I agree with you on just about everything, except I feel like the sky really is the limit. I've seen guns that have nothing special going for them go for pretty rediculous prices. Several months ago there was an M38 on Classic that someone bid $1300 damn dollars on... Can you believe that? Just a standard M38 that they provided no pictures for and you couldn't even tell what the bore was like. There's always going to be some retiree somewhere who's got loads of money saved up and therefore doesn't care what they spend on a gun they want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12