Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

What caused the Walther CCP to fail so much? Not enough cleaning?

Lately I've doing a lot gun renting at Action Impact. They have the best price for doing that, considering that I was swapping out a lot of different guns, and they don't charge extra for doing that.

Once in a while there will be a problem with one of the guns. Usually it's just a failure of the slide to stay in the back position after the last round is ejected (I'm sure I'm not using the proper term for this problem). I was told by the range officer that it's the result of the magazine needing to be cleaned. I never thought too much of it at the time.

A week ago I was the Eastpointe location shooting their Walther CCP. About every 3rd round was some kind of failure. Usually it was a failure of the new round to be chambered. Looked like this:

(I didn't take pictures at the time, but I've found some that closely mirror what was happening to me)

A few times there was a failure to eject the empty case. Looked pretty much like this:

Again I was told that the gun just needed to be cleaned, but none of the other rentals messed up like this, and I've probably tried a couple dozen different guns across various stores the last 2 months (which is why I concluded that Action Impact has the best price). The reloads that I had to buy for their rentals worked fine in the 4 or 5 other guns I tried that day at AI, which leads me to believe that it wasn't the ammo causing the problem. I also don't have any reason to doubt the quality of Walther's products.

Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Just Andrew; 07-16-2017 at 11:30 PM.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

ccp has that recoil reduction system using the gas piston underneath the barrel.
    is it possible that the reloads are running a little underpowered (save cost on production) and the recoil system isn't able to cope with weak ammo as opposed to hot loaded defensive ammo it was designed for?
    my ccp has only been to the range once or twice and fired probably under 100 rds, but using new factory stuff didn't cause any problems.

and feel free to doubt the quality of walther's cheaper stuff. they're basically upgraded airsoft toys from the Umarex parent company with the walther logo slapped on. I'm a big fan of walther, but i don't try to defend their cheaper stuff. I have most of it, but mainly for collection reasons rather than any great love for the cheapies.

edit - i ask about underpowered ammo because a stovepipe like that looks like there was some very short cycling going on. i don't imagine you're doing a whole lot of limp wristing...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    and feel free to doubt the quality of walther's cheaper stuff. they're basically upgraded airsoft toys from the Umarex parent company with the walther logo slapped on. I'm a big fan of walther, but i don't try to defend their cheaper stuff. I have most of it, but mainly for collection reasons rather than any great love for the cheapies.
    What are their better guns?

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Just Andrew View Post
    What are their better guns?
    P99/PPQ are great guns. PPS is a really good carry gun in the same style as the shield, the xd-s, and the glock 43, but was on the market before any of them.
    similarly, the p99/ppq are basically the same gun as the H&K VP9, but they have been out for 20 years as opposed to the vp9's 3 years.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

I am a Forum User
    I had one. Not very reliable but the bigger issue was the takedown. What a pain!

I am a Forum User
    The CCP borrowed heavily from the HK P7 design. But they didn't execute it well, IMO because they wanted to defy physics.

The design is a fixed barrel, which makes for direct blowback. But anything bigger than a .380 in direct blowback isn't going to be pleasant. So they use a gas delay system that siphons some gas off into a chamber below the barrel and the slide has a piston that enters the chamber under recoil. The expanding gas pushes back on the piston, which delays the slide. If carbon builds up on the port, it may not create enough back pressure to delay the slide, so it tries to extract while the case is still expanded in the chamber. I would look for extractor marks on the case rims to support this. The extractor pulling against a case that's pushing against the chamber walls could cause a short stroke.

One of the other problems is Walther wanted the CCP to be easy to rack. Well, for that you have to have a lighter recoil spring. But a lighter recoil spring means the slide is moving faster, unless you make it heavy or siphon more gas off. The faster slide can make for timing issues. Plus, the spring may not have enough oomph to fully chamber a round. Either timing or being undersprung can cause failures to feed/completely go into battery.

Now add that it's a rental, and probably not cared for terribly well (and discouraged by a tedious field strip procedure), you may have a gas port getting clogged as well as a recoil spring that needs to be changed.

Oh I also forgot Walther likes to use stepped chambers, so reloads aren't a great idea as they may stick in the chamber if they haven't been properly resized. I honestly don't know if the CCP has a stepped chamber, but I know the PPQ does and doesn't tolerate much out of spec.

Anyway, I like the PPQ, and I like the P7 the CCP copies (poorly). But I would not consider purchasing a CCP.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyChryst View Post
    Anyway, I like the PPQ, and I like the P7 the CCP copies (poorly). But I would not consider purchasing a CCP.
    I wouldn't buy another ccp

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyChryst View Post
    Oh I also forgot Walther likes to use stepped chambers, so reloads aren't a great idea as they may stick in the chamber if they haven't been properly resized. I honestly don't know if the CCP has a stepped chamber, but I know the PPQ does and doesn't tolerate much out of spec.
    Good to know. I've been pondering the PPQ. I like how it shoots, and there's currently a rebate deal from Walther going on.

I am a Forum User
    The PPQ is an awesome fire arm. I've put thousands threw mine with no issues. Go for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast