Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 vs Primary Arms ACSS 1-8

I am running an Aimpoint pro and magnifier. But I am looking for something with a little bit more range. Weighing out the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 vs the Primary Arms 1-8. I get pretty good pricing on Vortex optics and can get it almost $100 less than the P.A. ACSS 1-8. However, I feel like the ACSS reticle is a better option. Anyone have any experience with the Primary Arms 1-8?

I have it on a RFB.

The reticle is outstanding. Exactly what I wanted.

The quality is sub par though. Above 5x, bright objects begin to halo. It's not a focus/ diopter adjustment issue like PA claims in all of their responses to negative reviews...it's a glass quality issue. Things are not "blurry", but rather light from brighter objects bleed into darker objects. Under 5x the scope is very clear. Mine came with a small bit of dust embedded in the reticle (like a small hair in the horseshoe). It's just barely noticeable, and only if you really look for it, but it's there. After a month of use another new bit of dust appeared on the same focal plane as the reticle (so it's internal).

The eye box is completely unforgiving at 8x. There is a 1cm sphere of tolerance where you have to place your pupil to prevent partial or total blackout. No closer, no farther, no higher/ lower/ left or right. You absolutely have to have a repeatable cheek weld every time at 8x.

For $350, there's really no other option in the 1-8x game, especially with this reticle. I really wanted to return it, but I just love the reticle too much. The other saving grace is that PA offers a lifetime warranty now. If anything else goes wrong with it beyond the annoying dust particles I'm going to send it in to PA to be repaired/ replaced.

Would I have bought it knowing what I know now? .....a reluctant yes. The halo effect, which appears to be a thing on all of them, doesn't impede performance, (a plate sized object is still discernible at 600-800 yards), but it's very annoying. But since there is no other optic with a reticle like this or is a 1-8x (let alone both) for less than twice the cost of the PA.....I'll deal with it.

I also have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x on a FAL (not a strike eagle, I know), but the overall quality doesn't even compare. Crystal clear glass, super crisp etched reticle, and much more defined and predictable turret adjustments. A much more forgiving eye box too.

If PA offered a HD or premium version of this scope for $100 or $150 more, I'd gladly pay it.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 07-21-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Thanks for that information. I wish Vortex would incorporate the Strike Eagle 1-8 with the ACSS reticle cause I'd be all over that. I need to find someone local that has one that way I can look through it I guess. But I agree, I feel like that reticle is about as good as they come, especially in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Liwak1kc View Post
    Thanks for that information. I wish Vortex would incorporate the Strike Eagle 1-8 with the ACSS reticle cause I'd be all over that. I need to find someone local that has one that way I can look through it I guess. But I agree, I feel like that reticle is about as good as they come, especially in that price range.

You can always order it on amazon. They give you a month to return it if you don't like it. IIRC They're sold direct from amazon, not third party, so returns are very easy.

I am a Forum User
    I was told that both optics were made in the same factory with similar parts. I have the 1-6 ACSS and the 1-8 ACSS and really like them both. I shoot my 1-6 when I do 3gun and its super fast and easy to acquire targets with.

I am a Forum User
    Hello- I had read a number of posts here and elsewhere as I am looking for a scope for my new AR. My decision was between the Primary Arms 1-8 with ACSS vs the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8. The scopes are very similar, optically and otherwise, but many people mentioned they like the ACSS reticle better than the Vortex AR-BDC2 on the Vortex. I actually like the look of the Vortex reticle much better but like the range estimation on the side of the ACSS.

So I did some math and came up with some pretty nice range calculations for 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards with the Vortex AR-BDC2 reticle. Just lucky coincidence with the numbers really, AND in logical places. I like it! I also let Vortex customer service know about this, and they seemed happy to hear it. I just sent them this file with the ranges and explanation. Hope this helps someone else like me who likes the Vortex, but want some range estimation capability.

I don't know how people make the pictures themselves show in the thread. I clicked on the picture icon and it asked me for a URL. Maybe because I just joined, or maybe it shows up in thread later... I dunno' but here is the picture with the numbers and explanation:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vrL...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by sfrazee123; 03-07-2018 at 12:25 AM.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    There’s no picture there

I am a Forum User
    Yes, it said I cant put in a link until I have ten posts. So here is 2. I will go do a few more now, and see if I can get to ten, and then I will put in the link to the image. Its is pretty cool, and easy to do ranging... Keep an eye out.

I am a Forum User
    Hello- I had read a number of posts here and elsewhere as I am looking for a scope for my new AR. My decision was between the Primary Arms 1-8 with ACSS vs the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8. The scopes are very similar, optically and otherwise, but many people mentioned they like the ACSS reticle better than the Vortex AR-BDC2 on the Vortex. I actually like the look of the Vortex reticle much better but like the range estimation on the side of the ACSS.

So I did some math and came up with some pretty nice range calculations for 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards with the Vortex AR-BDC2 reticle. Just lucky coincidence with the numbers really, AND in logical places. I like it! I also let Vortex customer service know about this, and they seemed happy to hear it. I just sent them this file with the ranges and explanation. Hope this helps someone else like me who likes the Vortex, but want some range estimation capability.

I don't know how people make the pictures themselves show in the thread. I clicked on the picture icon and it asked me for a URL. Maybe because I just joined, or maybe it shows up in thread later... I dunno' but here is the picture with the numbers and explanation:

OK. I did ten posts, so hopefully I can include image now:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vrL...ew?usp=sharing

I am a Forum User
    Just to be clear, the parts I added are the blue lines for the different calculations I figured, and the notes on the right side explaining them... The underlying image I did the math on is the Vortex file for that AR-BDC2 reticle.