Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Protection between floor and safe?

Finally finished my office / gun room and going to move my safe plus purchase one additional safe. These will be permanently mounted thru floor joist. Wondering if you all use something as a barrier between the safe and floor. New laminate if it matters. Considering 1/2" thick rubber? Carpet scrap? Plywood? Any suggestions appreciated.

I am a Forum User
    you're drilling holes in the new floor, and worried about protecting the floor???

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I would use a plywood/sheeting directly under the safe and would put threaded anchors into the cement, through the plywood, and into the safe then use nuts and washers to secure the safe.

A non-combustible sheeting would be my choice if moisture isn't an issue. This way you create a space that also has a fire rating on the floor. So use a layer of pressure treated plywood against the cement and a layer of non-com on top of that.

You should be able to really secure that safe to the 2 pieces and even level it using shims after.

Quote Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
    you're drilling holes in the new floor, and worried about protecting the floor???
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
    Thanks for the helpful bullchit response. Why do most on here feel it necessary to post crap like this, when someone is looking for help? To enlighten the two geniuses who posted BS responses, I'll make this simple. House is on a crawlspace. Even on 90 degree days the house is very cool. In the winter even with the heat set at 80 it is cold throughout the house. My concern is about moisture or sweat between the safes and the floor causing the safe to rust or corrode. Ever see when they rearrange a grocery store or Walmart, and the floors have decayed, or have rust stains or embedded dirt that's cant be removed? All I was asking is can I use something as a preventative barrier? Not worried about "holes" in the floor as I have extra planks if needed, but not enough to redo a 3' x 9' area of the floor. Main concern is to protect the safes!

Banned
    OK, here's another response.

Please do put some 1/2" rubber under the safe, it will make it much easier to get a pry bar under.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    OK, here's another response.

Please do put some 1/2" rubber under the safe, it will make it much easier to get a pry bar under.
    Yep. I put mine on those black rubber cakes that we put furnaces on.

I run

MGO Board of Directors

I made a box about a foot high for my safes.
    Covered them in carpeting.
    They look great and it brings the shelves to eye level.

I was mostly worried about a sump pump failure.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Mounted mine directly to the cement floor of the basement 6 years ago. No problems. How's that for a no bull-chit answer OP?

You asked for suggestions, you got them. Make your own decisions and move on, it's called life.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Northcountry2007 View Post
    House is on a crawlspace. Even on 90 degree days the house is very cool. In the winter even with the heat set at 80 it is cold throughout the house.

My concern is about moisture or sweat between the safes and the floor causing the safe to rust or corrode. Ever see when they rearrange a grocery store or Walmart, and the floors have decayed, or have rust stains or embedded dirt that's cant be removed?

All I was asking is can I use something as a preventative barrier? Not worried about "holes" in the floor as I have extra planks if needed, but not enough to redo a 3' x 9' area of the floor. Main concern is to protect the safes!
    That's good additional info that wasn't in the OP (sans the passive aggressive personal attacks). Without that info, it was difficult to envision your concern. I saw your post before the "offending" question was posted and passed on responding since I didn't understand what exactly you were concerned about and thought the exact same thing as posted.

I agree with others that putting a 1/2 inch of anything under the safe makes it easier to get a pry bar under, especially rubber. Based on your concern of moisture staining the flooring, maybe a sheet of drywall or cement board of some sort?
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast