Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Lawsuit Could Set Precedent on Restoring Gun Owner Rights for Non-Violent Felons

With credit to "Counterpoint" for the find:
    Lawsuit Could Set Precedent on Restoring Gun Owner Rights for Non-Violent Felons

By David Codrea
    Ammoland.com
    August 17th. 2017

USA – -(Ammoland.com)- A man convicted in 2010 for securities fraud who wants his right to own a gun recognized by the government filed a complaint Monday in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. Montana resident Gregory L. Reyes’ lawsuit names as defendants U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Thomas E. Brandon, Acting Director of the bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

“Plaintiff challenges the complete denial under Section 922 of Title 18 of the U.S. Code of Plaintiff’s Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms solely and exclusively on account of his 2010 convictions for federal securities and accounting offenses,” Reyes v. Sessions declares. “Section 922(g)(1) prohibits firearm possession by ‘any person . . . who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.’”

We can see that for ourselves
    . The question is “Should it?” And how does such a blanket ban enhance public safety or comply with a government prime directive “to secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity”?

Reyes’ complaint make all the legal arguments his lawyers could amass, including arguing that the crimes for which he was convicted do not qualify under federal law as offenses to which a firearms disability apply. Under Montana law, it argues, he would be free to own guns.

As long as we’re talking the law, where in the Constitution — “the supreme Law of the Land” — is the federal government delegated powers to have any say whatsoever in gun ownership? Aside from Congress having authority “to provide for calling forth the Militia,” the only other clear mandate to all branches is “shall not be infringed.”

I am a Forum User
    A lot of people think I am crazy in my thinking.

If they are safe enough to walk the streets in public, they should have full rights restored.

How the law treats non-violent offenders post-sentence needs to be seriously reformed. But will SCOTUS pick up the case if/when it gets to that point? And will Congress and the ATF actually get to implementing reforms if the courts issue opinion in Reyes' favor? As we have seen, DC dragged its feet long after the Heller case.

I am a Forum User
    As long as we’re talking the law, where in the Constitution — “the supreme Law of the Land” — is the federal government delegated powers to have any say whatsoever in gun ownership?
    The same can be said for a significant amount of OTHER laws, rules and oversight put in place by the government.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post

If they are safe enough to walk the streets in public, they should have full rights restored.
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post

Exactly!

However, any and all fines/financial penalties/fees should be paid for by the convicted criminal's own efforts (get a job, work, earn the money to pay for it yourself!) not by someone else.
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

I don't think much has changed in the THREE years since this thread was started.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Exactly!

However, any and all fines/financial penalties/fees should be paid for by the convicted criminal's own efforts (get a job, work, earn the money to pay for it yourself!) not by someone else.
    Oh 100%, but that would be part of gaining your freedom.

First thing we need to work on would be serious justice system reform, and instead of it being a revolving door, make it work to reform people. But at the same time, those that can't be reformed need a much shorter wait time on death row.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wartalla View Post
    This initiative was great, but how absurd was the fact, that this lawsuit was launched by man convicted in 2010 for securities fraud who wants his right to own a gun recognized.
    In what way do you find this "absurd"?

With how twisted the popular narrative pushed by the media and the general willful ignorance of the public I doubt this would get any widespread support. In fact running specifically against this would most likely be a winning issue. Voting yeah, but we have to fight tooth and nail just to keep the gun rights of people with squeaky clean records, let alone felons.

As I've heard it said one of the most heinous thoughts ever sewn into the popular conscience is how most people connect accusations of crime with guilt and if asked to imagine a person in jail think of them being a murderer, robber, rapist, etc and thus unworthy of empathy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast