Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ex-MI resident living in Europe, want to buy a gun in MI, leave it at my dad's house in MI

You're probably going to roll your eyes but here goes. I want to get a CPL, buy a pistol, and leave it at my dad's house (which is also my US address). I've lived and worked in Europe for the last 3 years.

• Before moving to Europe I lived in NY and had a CT driving license (traded my MI driving license for NY and then CT).
    • I lived in michigan from 3-18 years old and had a DL there. Now my parents still live there but I'm in my 30's. I'm registered to vote in Michigan.
    • I'm happy to get a non-resident CPL from another state
    • I'd prefer not to register the pistol or get fingerprinted, both for philosophical reasons.
    • I'll be in NYC for a few weeks in September.

Can I take a class in NYC, get an out of state permit (Maine?), buy a gun at an FFL and have them send it to my dad in Michigan (or do I have to be there to pick it up?). Is it legal for him to have the gun at his house even if I don't really live there (esp. if it isn't registered)?

I know this is probably too complicated to be worth it, but the thought of sampling my second-amendment rights is too appealing not to investigate.

Thanks-

Might get a better response on the "legal Beagle" forum.

INAL but I believe you're SOL on the CPL, registration, and having dad possess your unregistered pistol as far as Michigan goes.
    NY, Maine, Conn, Mi, etc. all have varying laws as they pertain to firearms and, what it takes to buy possess and carry them.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    If you buy a gun from a FFL, there will be a record for atleast 20 years

Once you own a gun you can ship it to your dad's house, addressed to yourself. Have your father hold the package for you until you arrive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Just buy a gun where you are.

Most of Europe has "Sensible" gun laws so it shouldn't be a problem.

MGO Member
    You would have to have a verifiable US address/DL or state ID from somewhere to buy a handgun and obtain a CPL.

To do what you suggest you would have to get a MI photo ID with your dad's address as your official US address, then obtain a CPL from another state that is recognized as being accepted in MI.

I am a Forum User
    If you leave it in Michigan, it will have to be registered.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
    If you leave it in Michigan, it will have to be registered.
    Un-true with an out of state permit to carry. (which he indicate he's getting, I think?)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You don't need to register pistols in Michigan.

Where in Europe are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nmadole View Post
    Un-true with an out of state permit to carry. (which he indicate he's getting, I think?)
    Thanks-- I might try to get an out of state carry permit. I think NH CCW doesn't require fingerprints. Once I have that, I can buy a pistol from a gun show or private seller in Ohio or Virginia and bring it to Michigan... right ?

Then, if my dad gets a CCW (or even if he doesn't, since now concealed carry is legal in Michigan for residents without a permit), can he legally carry my unregistered pistol ?

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    You can only purchase a pistol in a state in which you claim residency. It would require a FFL in your state for the transfer, if purchased at an out of state gun show.

Your dad will need a CPL to possess your pistol in Michigan.

Conceal carry is NOT legal without a CPL in Michigan
    Last edited by Nmadole; 08-30-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast