Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    This is a HORRIBLE bill. Yes it sounds good at first glance but what it actually does is chip away at field preemption.

It is already illegal for agencies to consider firearms ownership under MCL 123.1101. This could easily harm rather than help us.
    MDHHS is a state agency, not a unit of local government. I don't understand.

Is it because of the "field preemption" argument that we recently lost with the school districts? That only the state legislature should be able to regulate guns unless they explicitly allow it?

So should we be suing MDHHS?

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    MDHHS is a state agency, not a unit of local government. I don't understand.

Is it because of the "field preemption" argument that we recently lost with the school districts? That only the state legislature should be able to regulate guns unless they explicitly allow it?

So should we be suing MDHHS?
    Although 123.1101 et seq. do not directly apply the courts in the past have ruled that the legislature "occupies the field" of firearms regulation. This is why you can walk into a Secretary of State office and not see a sign banning firearms. Once you start enumerating what agencies are banned from regulating firearms it is an easy step for an anti-gun judge to rule that unlisted agencies must then possess the ability to do so.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

MGO Board of Directors

Although 123.1101 et seq. do not directly apply the courts in the past have ruled that the legislature "occupies the field" of firearms regulation. This is why you can walk into a Secretary of State office and not see a sign banning firearms. Once you start enumerating what agencies are banned from regulating firearms it is an easy step for an anti-gun judge to rule that unlisted agencies must then possess the ability to do so.
    Good input! You should be a lawyer!

I've seen similar instances where enumerated lists are used to justify "if not on the list, it doesn't apply" judgements…even when the list clearly states "including, but not limited to…"
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    So should we be suing MDHHS or should we be advocating for more explicitly clear preemption?

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    So should we be suing MDHHS or should we be advocating for more explicitly clear preemption?
    MDHHS is already being sued by the Second Amendment Foundation in federal court.

What we really need is some teeth in preemption but Snyder had indicated the only way he would sign something like that would be to give local governments the ability to opt out. Obviously that would be worse than we have now.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

MDHHS is already being sued by the Second Amendment Foundation in federal court.

What we really need is some teeth in preemption but Snyder had indicated the only way he would sign something like that would be to give local governments the ability to opt out. Obviously that would be worse than we have now.
    wat?
    the only way we should penalize people for ignoring the law is if we give them the option to ignore the law?
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    I rather like Florida's preemption language:

(1) Preemption.—Except as expressly provided by the State Constitution or general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, storage, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or any administrative regulations or rules adopted by local or state government relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances, rules, or regulations are hereby declared null and void.
    There's even penalties.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0790.33.html

I am a Forum User
    It occurs to me that this is EXACTLY what we would want the legislature to do - dictate the rules a state agency can place upon guns. Is this not exactly what field preemption demands?

The only way to improve it is to have some sort of nod toward preemption in the language.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12