Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar

XS Big Dots are horrible

My EDC for the past couple of years has been an HK P2000v1 in .357 SIG with XS Big Dots. Although I've been wearing it for a long time I'm ashamed to admit I rarely shoot it, preferring my USPs or 1911s.

Yesterday I took a class through MDFI entitled "You Suck It's Not The Gun." The class focuses on sight alignment and trigger control. MDFI encourages shooters to train with what they carry shop I so I left my range guns behind.

While I may very well suck, it was quite clear that in this instance my gun did too. The maximum range you train for in this class is 10 yards and my 10 yard groups were HORRIBLE. Normally students find that mastering the sights is easy and the real issue shooters face is trigger control. For me my trigger control was near perfect. The bottom line is the sights are extremely difficult to hold a consistent sight picture with. When the instructor saw my sights he shook his head and commented that I was going to learn a tough lesson and he was right. My friend saw the issues I was having and offered to let me user his backup VP9 but I refused, sticking with the "train with what you use" theme.

At the end of the class we did a fun shoot, targeting a 10" steel plate to see who could hit it at the farthest distance. I've been shooting handguns since I was 8 and I was the only one who couldn't ring steel at 25 yards. Absolutely humiliating.

Placing an order for Meprolights today and switching to my PSP until they astride and are installed. I intend to repeat the class next year using the same gun but better sights. Can't say enough good things about the class if MDFI teaches a class near you I highly encourage signing up.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

XS Big Dots are horrible

At least you found this out shooting at paper and not when your life depended on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

And served as an example
    I just pulled the rear sight off my ppqm2 and replaced it with standard 2 dots, but I don't have a sight tool to remove my big front sight and replace it with the stock post.
    I think I can compromise with a big glowing front dot and 2 normal rear dots for now though.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    My EDC for the past couple of years has been an HK P2000v1 in .357 SIG with XS Big Dots. Although I've been wearing it for a long time I'm ashamed to admit I rarely shoot it, preferring my USPs or 1911s.

Yesterday I took a class through MDFI entitled "You Suck It's Not The Gun." The class focuses on sight alignment and trigger control. MDFI encourages shooters to train with what they carry shop I so I left my range guns behind.

While I may very well suck, it was quite clear that in this instance my gun did too. The maximum range you train for in this class is 10 yards and my 10 yard groups were HORRIBLE. Normally students find that mastering the sights is easy and the real issue shooters face is trigger control. For me my trigger control was near perfect. The bottom line is the sights are extremely difficult to hold a consistent sight picture with. When the instructor saw my sights he shook his head and commented that I was going to learn a tough lesson and he was right. My friend saw the issues I was having and offered to let me user his backup VP9 but I refused, sticking with the "train with what you use" theme.

At the end of the class we did a fun shoot, targeting a 10" steel plate to see who could hit it at the farthest distance. I've been shooting handguns since I was 8 and I was the only one who couldn't ring steel at 25 yards. Absolutely humiliating.

Placing an order for Meprolights today and switching to my PSP until they astride and are installed. I intend to repeat the class next year using the same gun but better sights. Can't say enough good things about the class if MDFI teaches a class near you I highly encourage signing up.
    Thanks for posting this because I have a set in my cart online ready to be purchased but I will be promptly removing them!

I can actually group with XS big dots without an issue, but that's not what the sights are designed for. A quick draw from a holster, at a target 25' away, usually got me on target rather quickly with just a flash of white, and a quick trigger press. They definitely suck for precision shooting.

In Memoriam Forum User
    I've had XS Big Dots on a couple handguns over the years. Target sights, they are not! But for quick draw/point/shoot, I think they're great. You have to really spend some time with them, and adjust to the sight picture. I think for a defense pistol used at distances not greater than 20' they're really fast.

I am a Forum User
    It's 10 yards and less, what's the point of shooting good groups? That's all in front sight only shooting distance. In a defensive situation you don't want tight groups you want more holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Remo View Post
    It's 10 yards and less, what's the point of shooting good groups? That's all in front sight only shooting distance. In a defensive situation you don't want tight groups you want more holes.

Some find big dots a hindrance in defensive shooting as such sights can inhibit one's reflexes by demanding more attention to alignment thereby sacrificing instinct, esp if the front dot nearly fills the rear sight notch laterally. Many find that a wider rear notch with a normal width front is often more akin to being aligned instinctively and as long as the front stays more or less between the 'ears' of the rear, center mass hits become a normal consequence.

MGO Member
    Take an 8 1/2' X 11" piece of paper put 10 dots on it the size of quarter. Step back 10 yards and put one shot into each dot.

Group shooting might not be important, but precision is since we are responsible for each and every bullet that leaves the barrel.

If you can hit 10 quarter sized dots at 10 yards with XS Big Dots then you are my hero. If you can't sign up for YSINTG. If you still can't after taking that class you might think differently about XS Big Dots.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2atlow8 View Post
    Take an 8 1/2' X 11" piece of paper put 10 dots on it the size of quarter. Step back 10 yards and put one shot into each dot.

Group shooting might not be important, but precision is since we are responsible for each and every bullet that leaves the barrel.

If you can hit 10 quarter sized dots at 10 yards with XS Big Dots then you are my hero. If you can't sign up for YSINTG. If you still can't after taking that class you might think differently about XS Big Dots.
    X1000
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast