Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slapstick View Post
    I’m curious to know why you chose to switch over to meprolites after you ran the MDFI class. Did the MDFI class instructor recommend them?
    Actually, I ended up going with Dawson Precisions. I haven't shot the gun yet but I have heard good things. Trek recommends simpler sights - he believes the more cluttered the sight picture the more difficult it is to hit.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    Actually, I ended up going with Dawson Precisions. I haven't shot the gun yet but I have heard good things. Trek recommends simpler sights - he believes the more cluttered the sight picture the more difficult it is to hit.
    Shyster, maybe you remember that i was the other one with XS on my 320 SC and i agreed with their usefulness during the class. I went back to factory sights and blacked out the dots. Ive been practicing with these and im easily shooting 3 " groups at 10 yards now. Trek is spot on, IMO

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Big dots are made specifically for self defense in low light situations. You have heard all the statistics most confrontations happen within 5 yards. Big dots should be on your EDC or night stand gun, they are meant to get shots on target quickly to defend your life. When will your life ever be threatened at 25 yards in a low light situation? A battle gun or bug out gun should have standard night sights on them preferably high capacity. The point im trying to make is your post its like saying a allen wrench sucks because you are trying to tighten something that needs a phillips head, different tools for different situations.

If you want to ring steel at 25 yards use a different gun with appropriate sights to do the job you are intending to do. XS Big Dots are extremely effective at what they are meant to do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    I can actually group with XS big dots without an issue, but that's not what the sights are designed for. A quick draw from a holster, at a target 25' away, usually got me on target rather quickly with just a flash of white, and a quick trigger press. They definitely suck for precision shooting.
    THIS^^^
    Not a precision sight. You don't need precision in a CCW gun. Hence crappy sights on pocket guns and carry revolvers.

I have to disagree.

I’m currently carrying a G19 gen4, with OEM rear sight and XS Big Dot (with titrum insert) front sight. Best sight combo I have ever used. It’s not a bullseye target gun, but works great for its purpose. I can pick up the sights quickly and hit an 8”x10” steel target at 25-30 yards without difficulty.

ETA: I had a lot of problems while using the XS V notch rear sight. The rear sight is where the problem is, I find the rear V notch very difficult to use.
    Last edited by GCP1; 06-09-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    THIS^^^
    Not a precision sight. You don't need precision in a CCW gun. Hence crappy sights on pocket guns and carry revolvers.
    I think you do not want target sights, but nice sights you can pratice effectivley and build muscle memory seems like it would pay off in a self defense situation.

I've had Big Dots on my edc (Kahr PM9) for years now and I'm on the fence. They are extremely fast from draw to first shot, but they are also the least accurate for me. I'm still on target but group size doubles at 10yds vs my other guns for me and I can't blame the gun.

I have FO front and black rear on all my other guns, but I figured the EDC would need something more adaptable...I think after this write up I'l see what's out there and give them a try.

I am a Forum User
    Has anyone here actually compared Big Dots to other sights under low light conditions ?

MGO Member
    Fast acquisition, low precision sights. I have a set on a Shield 9mm, compliments the gun.

I am a Forum User
    I noticed about everybody missed the "Express" part of the sight name and the relationship to dangerous game hunters.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234