Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2atlow8 View Post
    Take an 8 1/2' X 11" piece of paper put 10 dots on it the size of quarter. Step back 10 yards and put one shot into each dot.

Group shooting might not be important, but precision is since we are responsible for each and every bullet that leaves the barrel.

If you can hit 10 quarter sized dots at 10 yards with XS Big Dots then you are my hero. If you can't sign up for YSINTG. If you still can't after taking that class you might think differently about XS Big Dots.

How quickly? And doing so will help how in a self defense emergency?

I can't see any way it is nearly as good as a shot-per- second 3, 5 or 7 shot 3" group in the sternum out of a 9 mm or 45 regardless of sights used.

What am I missing here?

(And how far apart are your '10 dots?')

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post
    How quickly? And doing so will help how in a self defense emergency?

I can't see any way it is nearly as good as a shot-per- second 3, 5 or 7 shot 3" group in the sternum out of a 9 mm or 45 regardless of sights used.

What am I missing here?

(And how far apart are your '10 dots?')

How quickly? Take all the time you want.

And doing so will help how in a self defense emergency? You'll know exactly where the bullet is going. In a self defense shooting each of those bullets has a lawyer attached to it.

In regard to your 3" group it will probably be closer to 12" when the bullets are flying back at you. I would also argue the "average" firearm owner/CPL holder can't shoot a 3" groups consistently at 10 yards with no stress on a square range using their concealed carry gun and duty ammo.

The distance between the dots is not relevant. The point of the exercise is to simply put one bullet in each dot at 10 yards.

Name:  dot-torture-target.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  10.9 KB

I have xs sights on my Vp9sk. Despite XS directly telling me they are the right height for my gun, they shoot about 1.5" low at 10yds. I can put bullet on bullet, but they are ~1.5" low and I have to really try to barely put the dot on the stick to do that. To hit where I want, the lollipop doesn't even touch the stick, it floats above it.

I've had a couple other good shooters have the EXACT same results when I hand them this gun...bullet on bullet but 1.5-2" low for them.

While not the same scenario as what the OP experienced, it has been enlightening nonetheless.

I notice they are quick to get on target when I shoot fast, but my grouping is nowhere near as tight as when I shoot fast with more traditional sights using a flash sight picture.

So ya, not a believer in the XS sights myself.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 09-20-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post
    What am I missing here?

Or to rewrite it for TV/Movie use:

Fast is fine, but accuracy is final.
    You must learn to be slow in a hurry.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    And served as an example
    I just pulled the rear sight off my ppqm2 and replaced it with standard 2 dots, but I don't have a sight tool to remove my big front sight and replace it with the stock post.
    I think I can compromise with a big glowing front dot and 2 normal rear dots for now though.
    Might want to check where POI vs POA is...if heights don't match up, you'll have issues shooting high/low.

Quote Originally Posted by Remo View Post
    It's 10 yards and less, what's the point of shooting good groups? That's all in front sight only shooting distance. In a defensive situation you don't want tight groups you want more holes.
    Wrong. You have to be able to shoot tight groups because in a defensive situation your skill set becomes ~50% of what you're capable of.

So if on a good day on a square range you are spraying a man sized target, when **** hits the fan, your accuracy is spraying little Suzy riding by on her bike...

We have to be able to group well when the adrenaline/stress/blood pressure/epinephrine isn't there so that when the adrenaline dump and what not occurs and we are at 50% capacity, we can still make hits that count without making grave mistakes.

Accuracy is extremely important, even at 3yds.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 09-20-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    Wrong. You have to be able to shoot tight groups because in a defensive situation your skill set becomes ~50% of what you're capable of.

So if on a good day on a square range you are spraying a man sized target, when **** hits the fan, your accuracy is spraying little Suzy riding by on her bike...

We have to be able to group well when the stress isn't there so that when the adrenaline dump and what not occurs and we are at 50% capacity, we can still make hits that count without making grave mistakes.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by 2atlow8 View Post
    How quickly? Take all the time you want.

And doing so will help how in a self defense emergency? You'll know exactly where the bullet is going. In a self defense shooting each of those bullets has a lawyer attached to it.

In regard to your 3" group it will probably be closer to 12" when the bullets are flying back at you. I would also argue the "average" firearm owner/CPL holder can't shoot a 3" groups consistently at 10 yards with no stress on a square range using their concealed carry gun and duty ammo.

The distance between the dots is not relevant. The point of the exercise is to simply put one bullet in each dot at 10 yards.
    (I was disconnected mid-typing)

So much for the better!!
    Last edited by PeeDee; 09-20-2017 at 11:48 AM.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    Might want to check where POI vs POA is...if heights don't match up, you'll have issues shooting high/low.
    yeah i'll check it next time I go to the range if I can remember to bring that gun. I like the big hi-viz tritium front sight, but putting the big dot on the tiny rear stick is not easy for accuracy. Slow fire was all over the place, fast fire was missing the target at any range. I've only shot it a handful of times, so it's nice seeing that everybody else has the same issues and it's not just me.
    I'm not AS concerned about high/low issue with the big dot front and stock rear sights because human target would be a vertical one, but it's something I'll need to work with to see if it's acceptable.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast