Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MGO Board of Directors

SB 0586 of 2017 Expand definition of "Local unit of government" and adds ability to adopt firearms policies pertaining to students

SB 0586 of 2017
    Weapons; other; local units of government prohibited from imposing certain restrictions on firearms; expand. Amends secs. 1 & 2 of 1990 PA 319 (MCL 123.1101 & 123.1102).
    Last Action: 9/20/2017 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

This bill adds "SCHOOL DISTRICT, INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL DISTRICT, COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT, PUBLIC LIBRARY, LOCAL AUTHORITY CREATED UNDER STATE LAW, OR ANY OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE" to the current definition of a "Local Unit of government".

It also adds: "(2) THIS ACT DOES NOT PROHIBIT THE BOARD OF A SCHOOL DISTRICT OR THE BOARD OF AN INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL DISTRICT FROM ADOPTING OR ENFORCING POLICIES REGARDING THE POSSESSION OF PISTOLS, OTHER FIREARMS, OR PNEUMATIC GUNS BY STUDENTS OF THAT SCHOOL DISTRICT OR INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL DISTRICT."
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Without penalties, how does this get enforced?

MGO Board of Directors

If this were already law, the MGO v AAPS case would be wrapped-up already (if it ever had been needed).

On the other hand, this bill opens the door wide open to schools being able to restrict students from firearms possession/carry.

I am a Forum User
    At least the sponsors of this legislation now have bragging rights that they are doing something for gun owners in Michigan but have given us nothing in return.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

so... community colleges, but NOT universities are addressed? They should technically be covered under "local authority" but by specifically naming colleges and not universities doesn't that give them a loophole to turn into a noose. even if it MAY fail on a court challenge, somebody is going to have to risk getting expelled to force it.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    If this were already law, the MGO v AAPS case would be wrapped-up already (if it ever had been needed).

On the other hand, this bill opens the door wide open to schools being able to restrict students from firearms possession/carry.
    This would be a big blow to our friends at "Students for Concealed Carry".