Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

German Luger. Shoot it or store it in the safe?

I am thinking about purchasing a German Luger that is available to me.

Condition is very good to excellent, serial numbers all match. Round count unknown.

Nothing extra ordinary about the particular pistol, not a long barreled artillery model or anything. Was a bring back from WWII i think.

Previous owner occasionally pulled it out of the safe and shot it but not that often.

If I got it I would definately want to shoot it occasionally.

Shoot I shoot it or hang it on the wall?

Regards,
    Crankster

You have to shoot it to know what it's all about.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    I have one that was my grand dad's bring back... it gets shot once every few years. You almost have to.

Now if it were something rare, or in 100% condition, I wouldn't shoot it.

I've been wanting a Luger for years...if I ever get it, I am shooting it, displaying it at home, taking long walks with it.

I am a Forum User
    Any of the coil spring P.08 pistols with matching numbers should be safe to fire with modern ammunition after a close inspection by a qualified expert. Brass cased ammunition is advisable. The minimal wear and tear of firing should not adversely affect the value of a typical Luger which has already been fired some.

The leaf spring P.00 and P.06 pistols with grip safeties are better off not shot. Only the Swiss completed pistols of these models are still safe to shoot without the likelihood of breaking irreplaceable parts.

Main toggle springs and extractors are the first parts to fail with usage in Georg Lueger's design.

I'd suppose I'd have to shoot it - some anyway. I don't have one of these and likely never will. Price is a big factor and, from what I have read, parts were hand crafted on these making breaking a part or having a weak spring, a real problems trying to repair it. Plus, for some reason, I hate anything with Nazi markings on it. I must say, however, that I have many rifles that I wouldn't chance shooting primarily because I have others that are very similar that I enjoy shooting, yet are more common. It's up to each person to make that decision for themselves. Either way, I wouldn't be critical of the decision.
    Don't change them - leave them as they were...

I am a Forum User
    I know this is super old thread but...

SHOOT IT!

I got my first luger 3 months ago. Only 1 component doesn't match in the gun. I've shot it about 200 times since then. BUT I took it apart and reassembled ay least 50 times before I shot it. I checked conditions, replaced an ejector, and ensured safety.

As far as I'm concerned, guns are meantto be fired an d a luger is no exception.

Life is too short. Shoot it if you want.

The only thing I hang on my wall and don't use is my Diploma.

I am a Forum User
    Shoot her and enjoy the history.

I am a Forum User
    My mother has a couple million in the bank. She clips coupons and uses paper plates and eats at at old peoples restaurants where they have 100's of things on the menu and no entree on the menu is less than 10$. When I get my hands on that money I am going to live it up.

Shoot the damn gun and enjoy it. I would take it to tactical pistol at the gun club at least once or twice a year.

I have a Weatherby 270 Mag that I picked up that appraised very high. I took it elk hunting three times and it shows but I shot two elk and finished off a third for someone that I tracked over hell's half acre. I also shot a Michigan deer with it. It is worth half of what it appraised for but I'm glad I used it.
    Last edited by willforu1; 02-09-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast