Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

FN FNS 9c review

I managed to score a new FN FNS 9c for a decent price ($450) at Gander Mountain a few months back and now that I've had a chance to wring it out a bit I thought I'd post a quick write up. I've owned and enjoy all types of handguns but at this point in my life I primarily carry striker fired autos. After selling my only two 9mm pistols a while back (Glock 17 & Walther PPS) and still having a fair amount of ammo that was slowly dwindling due to needy friends on range day, I decided enough was enough, I was going to burn that ammo myself! I wanted something with a bit more capacity than my Glock 27 that would still be fairly easy to conceal, the FN fit the bill so I jumped on it when I saw it for a good price. Here are my thoughts after just around 500 rounds down range.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Fit and finish is good for a polymer pistol. Machining is perfect, molding is nice and clean, slide doesn't rattle around, lockup is rock solid and the mags fit well but easily drop free. All the controls are positive but easy to operate other than the mag release witch is flush and requires just a bit of extra pressure to actuate. The finish on the slide seems to hold up really well, even scratches from my steel belt buckle rub right off and it has zero holster wear after being carried daily for a while. Trigger was a bit gritty in the take up but has smoothed out some. Sights are steel 3 dot, dovetailed front and rear and taper in so they naturally draw your eye to them. They are high and offer a good picture but there is just a touch of space between them and there is no ledge for charging on a belt one handed. They came perfectly aligned witch I guess is typical with a decent firearm these days.

SIZE: Right inbetween the sub compact and compact Glock models, witch is one reason I got it. It conceals easily under all but the snuggest of T-shirts. There are many smaller, thinner pistols out there but this is about as small as it gets with a capacity of 12+1.

ERGONOMICS: The grip shape is your standard 2x4. There are two interchangeable back straps and the texture is aggressive but comfortable. It works well for me and puts my trigger finger right where I want it to be. Controls are low profile, fully ambi and are well placed. Slide serrations offer excellent grip for charging. The mag release takes some effort to depress but as long as you push it in with authority the mags pop right out. I did pinch my hand inserting the extend mag when I first got it but after taking the grip sleeve off its a non issue. The flush fit mags floor plate is pronounced in front and this is my biggest complaint in the ergo department, it protrudes right where my pinky wants to rest. Normally I don't mind a two finger grip but it just feels awkward with the flush magazine in. It doesn't affect my shooting at all but I may take a Dremel to it and grind it down just a bit. Other than the small issues I've mentioned this pistol does everything you tell it to with boring efficiency, the texture keeps it locked in place and with the changeable back straps it should fit a wide variety of hands.

TRIGGER: Typical of striker fired pistols. The take up is grittier than some other strikers and there is just a touch of creep, but it breaks clean and crisp and there's almost no over travel unlike the other strikers I have. The reset is short and fairly pronounced. To sum it up, its my least favorite striker fired trigger to dry fire but when I actually have ammo in it all of a sudden it shines. Maybe it's due do the almost complete absence of over travel but on the range I prefer it to any other striker fired gun I have owned.

RELIABILITY: 100% with the 3-4 brands of FMJ I have used and Federal HST. I put a drop of oil on the frame rails when I brought it home and put the first 300 or so rounds through with no cleaning. Far from a torture test but I decided to start carrying it so I cleaned it up. But not one hiccup so far and as a side note this pistol runs remarkably clean, after 300 rounds it looked like I had just cleaned it, except for a bit of carbon on the feed ramp it was pretty much spotless.

OVERALL: I really like this pistol, it's a great shooter, runs flawlessly and fills a few gaps I had in my collection. It's small and light enough to comfortably carry all day but still offers plenty of firepower from a very shootable platform, kind of my Goldilocks of guns, it's just right..

Thanks for sharing. I had a FNS9, and my experience mirrored yours, very nice guns that feel better in your hand then a Gen 3 or 4 Glock, and way cheaper!

I am a Forum User
    The shop I work in has one in FDE. It is easily my favorite striker fired pistol that we have. If I were buying another carry gun right now, that would be it.

I am a Forum User
    One hour and thrity eight minutes from Camp Perry.
    Good review. I too have both the FNS9 and the FNS-9C models and I like them both. I bought the extended mag for the 9C and that jumped my round count up to 17+1. I also went out and bought a Walther PPQ-M2 and the HK VP9. I like the Walther and HK grips really well and both shoot very good. Just to see if they are any good I'll likely pick up a Glock 19 gen 5. I have a bunch of 19 gen 3's and they are good to go too but there are better options these days to consider.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Good review. I too have both the FNS9 and the FNS-9C models and I like them both. I bought the extended mag for the 9C and that jumped my round count up to 17+1. I also went out and bought a Walther PPQ-M2 and the HK VP9. I like the Walther and HK grips really well and both shoot very good. Just to see if they are any good I'll likely pick up a Glock 19 gen 5. I have a bunch of 19 gen 3's and they are good to go too but there are better options these days to consider.
    Thanks Batman, I like my Gen4 Glocks quite a bit. I have a 27 & 23. I may try a VP9 SK here pretty soon! There's not a whole lot that tempts me with the Gen5 other than the lack of finger grooves witch is a winner in my book, my fat middle finger gets squeezed into the trigger guard just a bit and I'm always tempted to get a Dremel out (haven't yet) but I don't really notice when shooting. Personaly I just love the size of the Glock sub compacts and only have the 23 so the 27 doesn't get lonely If they release a gen5 26 I may take the bait!

MGO Member
    Great review Batman. I have both the FS9 and FS9-C and love them. The ergonomics point for me is the angle of the grip, which is much closer to 45 degrees than the near-90 degree angle on Glocks. The FNH pistols simply "fit" my wrist angle better, which makes them not only more comfortable to shoot but also more accurate. I especially like the short very noticeable reset. All in all, my favorite handguns for long range or training sessions.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I got my first FNS-9 compact 2 months ago. First time to the range, did a sandbag test for accuracy! 7yd,10,15. It won't hold anything smaller than 5 inch group!!! Pull out my 509. Did same setup, perfect! 2 or less group! Why is this so bad compared to the 509? I have been a firearm owner and pistol team shooter for 20 + . Never had such a hard time. What do you guys think. These ate my first NEW FN's. I need help, or I'm selling it!