Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

Thumbs up Got my first Milsurp rifle

So I'm excited to say that I recently purchased my first Milsurp. I didn't go big, but I got a M91/30 Mosin Nagant in Excellent condition for $240 from Southern Ohio Guns. The rifle is very clean and looks great. Worst thing about it was getting all of the damn cosmoline off of it. I took it out this weekend and man was it a blast (pun intended) to shoot. My first shot I hit a 8" steel plate at 50 yards and it flung the plate right off the shepherd's hook. That gun just put a huge smile on my face when I shot it. Didn't think I'd get a feeling like that from a rifle made in 1943 but man, awesome time.

Used to have big fun with those rifles. Maybe we will get surplus ammo again someday.

MGO Member
    Warning- there is a serious ailment called Mosinitis. It starts with a 91/30, spreads to a M44 carbine, needs a M38 carbine to keep it company. Wow those PU 91/30 snipers look neat. Have you seen those great Finnish reworks of Mosins? Great shooters! And on it goes.
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

At least you went the sensible (cheap) route to start. My first milsurp was a 1917 Rock Island M1903A3. That led to getting a 1943 Remington Rand M1911A1, 1942 Inland DIV M1 Cabine, and a 1945 Springfield M1 Garand. Now I need a M1A (M-14) and a 20" barrel AR-15 to round out my US milsurp collection.

MGO Member
    Congratulations and welcome to the addiction.
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

I am a Forum User
    Congrats my 1937 M91/30 was my first rifle I ever bought!! I've ran it in a few 3 gun matches and to my surprise I beat 7 people who were running AR15s haha.

Also took it to the long range steel shoot at BWSA. It was about 15*F. 22mph wind in our face and light snow. Perfect mosin conditions.

Target was 12 wide by 24 tall. Pulled It out of the case. Loaded my first 200gr wolf FMJ. Slide rear sight to 600. Fire..spotter calls out 3 feet over good left and right

Duh moment METERS! Slide it down to 550 2nd shot perfect up and down 1 foot left. So then it was fighting the wind but on the 17th shot made contact. Iron sights 600 yards with not very good long range conditions .

As others have said you now have the comm block bug.

I went from a I now own a 91/30. M1895 nagant revolver. M38. An SVT40. a PAP M92 AK pistol and a Saiga 12... All my Russian ones are made at the same ishmash factory ...it is an addiction for sure enjoy and hopefully cheap 7.62x54r comes back!!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

As has been pointed out, those things are like Lays Potato Chips; you can't eat just one. At one point, I was up to 10 various Mosin's plus a couple of Mausers and others. But ...

Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

I am a Forum User
    The younger Son has an interest in 'mil-surps'. He/we now have a modest collection starting, which includes an Arisaka, K31, a K98, 2 Makarov pistols, and a more modern M1A. I've had to expand my reloading setup & rotate around the new chamberings.

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    I bought my first Mosin at the State Fairgrounds about 12 years ago...paid a whopping 69.95 for a beautifully refurbished Tula with a pristine bore. Even picked up a case (2 tins) of Hungarian heavy ball for 100$. Those were the good old days...plenty of 91/30's, M44's, and M38's had just came into the country and were all selling for less than 100$.

Enjoy your Mosin, hopefully you got all the goodies that originally came with it (bayonet, sling, cleaning kit, ammo pouch)...if you did, see if you get better accuracy with the bayonet attached.

I am a Forum User
    I got my Mosin 91/30 in about 2005 or so... paid $129 for a Tula made in 1939. Great condition. I remember buying a 440 round spam can of surplus Bulgarian 7.62x54r for about $80. Oh man that was some good times for cheap milsurps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast