Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

The four rules of gun safety

They seem like common sense but once you violate one of them, such bad things can happen.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...led_rifle.html

Not dismissing thefamily's grief at all, and under no circumstances is the girl's death acceptable.

"Remington's egregious inattention to proper assembly..."
    What about the father's egregious disregard for safety? He put a loaded and chambered rifle in the cab of the truck with his daughter, AND allowed the barrel to point at her head.

In a North Carolina incident in 2011, a man was removing an XMP-equipped rifle from its soft case when it discharged inside his home without the trigger being pulled. He didn't know that a cartridge was in the chamber. The bullet killed a girl walking on the other side of the street, hit another girl then a woman, the lawsuit said.
    He didn't know the rifle was loaded. Sigh. A firearm is always handled as if it were loaded. Again, the muzzle was allowed to cover something that the owner did not wish destroyed. The muzzle was not pointed in a safe direction. Perhaps he wasn't the one who stuffed the loaded rifle into the case, but he is the one who pointed it in an unsafe direction until he verified condition.

Both of my 700s have had the triggers modified and adjusted to an approximate 0.5 pounds break. Neither of my rifles have ever discharged without being pointed at the intended target, though one will drop the firing pin if jarred forcefully. There is never a round in the chamber until the rifle is pointed at the intended target. The rifles are never cased with the bolt installed. The rifles never leave the bench until the chamber has been double verified as clear.

Just my opinion, but the lawsuits are an attempt by grieving people to assuage their guilt and anguish. In their hearts they know they made grievous erors, and they cannot bear the blame. Filing suit allows them to feel righteous indignation rather than condemnation.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    "Jose is not doing well at all," Siudara told MLive and The Grand Rapids Press. "He is not going to get over this. I have never seen such sadness."

I feel bad for the family too. So many safety fails. Not to be mean, but the father should feel bad. I don't claim to be perfect, but It was his responsibility to make sure that the rifle was safely stowed.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post

Just my opinion, but the lawsuits are an attempt by grieving people to assuage their guilt and anguish. In their hearts they know they made grievous erors, and they cannot bear the blame. Filing suit allows them to feel righteous indignation rather than condemnation.
    This is pretty much spot on. They want an "official" to tell them it wasn't the dad's fault. It is a sad situation, all around. However, in no way is it Remington's fault. The family must be the only people in town that think it isn't their own fault. I don't think the dad should be sent to jail but, I certainly don't believe he deserves a reward.

I am a Forum User
    Dad was at fault 100%.

I am a Forum User
    700's have been under scrutiny for MANY years. There was even a documentary made about the known defect in their manufacture and the "accidents" they're associated with. Does that make the 4 rules void? Not at all, but I do believe that this is an issue that has "been sitting on the desk" too long with Remington.

I am a Forum User
    Very tragic accident linked in the original post, it's also 100% the fault of the adult in charge. It sounds like he was riding around in a vehicle with a loaded, uncased rifle? To top it off, that rifle wasn't pointed in a safe direction.

I think Remington has protected it's interests from more realistic lawsuits.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jklemkow View Post
    700's have been under scrutiny for MANY years. There was even a documentary made about the known defect in their manufacture and the "accidents" they're associated with. Does that make the 4 rules void? Not at all, but I do believe that this is an issue that has "been sitting on the desk" too long with Remington.
    This has been an issue for decades. I feel zero sympathy for Remington. They were warned by their own engineers that this would happen and it did. The only AD I have ever had was with a Model 721. It was pointed i n a safe direction, but it still scared the **** out of me. Guns shouldn't fire when you don't pull the trigger.

Bottom line is that Remington handled this very poorly.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

Such a tragedy. I read about this not long after it happened.
    I'm heartbroken for the family.