Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ammo storage

MGO Member Forum User

Ammo storage

I see alot of forums about ammo storage some say military style ammo cans some say ammo safe and others say both, what do you guys recommend?

I personally prefer containers that are designed for the purpose.

This is a question for which you will need to tailor the answer to your situation.

Are there small children? Do you take a substantial amount to the range with you? How large of a quantity do you wish to store, and for how long will it be stored? In the portion of your property where you wish to store it, is there a higher risk of water damage? What is the climate, are there large temp swings through the year?

You can see where this could all lead.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member Forum User
    Yes I do see where it could all lead in my personal situation regulated temps no water risk no children but I see what you mean I am I guess asking just in general what people prefer storage wise

MGO Member
    Generally I use fat 50 ammo cans.

For regular access items I use .30 and .50 cans. Easy to move, easy to carry, and water/ air tight. For long term storage and stockpile items I use 40mm cans. Just as water and air tight, but much more volume, more stable to stack, and have dual carry handles. All are "explosion" proof too (meaning in a fire they won't turn into bombs).

Though, a fully loaded 40mm can holds 1200 rounds of .308, and weighs 70 pounds. Its not something I like to move around at all.

I keep all of these cans in a steel locker like you would flammable materials on an elevated platform above a concrete floor and bolted to the wall (filled up the thing has to weigh close to what a gun safe would.....dont want it tipping over).

Overkill? Maybe. But then Im also anal enough to have a spreadsheet of every caliber, manufacturer, and type I have in stock....and update it any time I add or remove from the locker.

I am a Forum User
    I just use 50 cal cans. Although visible and unlocked, it takes me a significant amount of time up and down a ladder to move the entire stash into and out of their location when I go to refresh the silica gel and reorganize. So I can't see anyone getting too many of them in a smash and grab with the other defenses limiting their time.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    For regular access items I use .30 and .50 cans. Easy to move, easy to carry, and water/ air tight. For long term storage and stockpile items I use 40mm cans. Just as water and air tight, but much more volume, more stable to stack, and have dual carry handles. All are "explosion" proof too (meaning in a fire they won't turn into bombs).

No, they are not "explosion" proof
    !

A lot of my ammo is stored in Steelcase and Hon file cabinets.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    A lot of my ammo is stored in Steelcase and Hon file cabinets.
    I thought only I did that!

I am a Forum User
    50 cal and 40mm ammo cans. I have opened ammo cans where the ammo was in there 20-30 years and was fine (milsurp I bought)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast