Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ammo storage

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    For regular access items I use .30 and .50 cans. Easy to move, easy to carry, and water/ air tight. For long term storage and stockpile items I use 40mm cans. Just as water and air tight, but much more volume, more stable to stack, and have dual carry handles. All are "explosion" proof too (meaning in a fire they won't turn into bombs).
    No, they are not "explosion" proof!
    Yes, they are,

Most people don't understand what the term means. FFD evidently does, the container is designed to rip open and vent internal pressures before it reaches a level that would cause a catastrophic bursting with shrapnel and a concussive blast. They are NOT designed to "contain" an internal conflagration.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Yes, they are,

Most people don't understand what the term means. FFD evidently does, the container is designed to rip open and vent internal pressures before it reaches a level that would cause a catastrophic bursting with shrapnel and a concussive blast. They are NOT designed to "contain" an internal conflagration.

Resulting in 1200 pops instead of one really big kaboom. Like a bag of microwave popcorn vs a ziplock bag in a microwave.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Yes, they are,

Exactly. They will vent under pressure as the walls of the ammo can are thin. They will not maintain its integrity to a pressure where the speed of detonation or blast radius would be defined as an "explosion". I have an explosives storage magazine that was designed to BATFE specifications when I used to be licensed to manufacture low explosives. The definition of an "explosion" is NOT simply a rupturing containment box.

Even a boiling propane tank does not "explode", it ruptures. The propane mixing with air, and igniting, has a pressure propagation in the "hundreds of meters/second" that defines an "explosion".

That said, "if" an ammo can is filled with powder, and the powder initiates by heat, shock or fire, the powder explodes. The ammo can just ruptures from the overpressure.

I am a Forum User
    I bought a set of old metal lockers like these and got all the crap out of my gun safe including ammo (and knives, tools, slings, scopes, gun/scope paperwork). It's worked out great. Then I got two sets of keyed alike padlocks from eBay super cheap. The tall lockers also utilize vertical space. Got these on Craigslist.

I am a Forum User

Plastic Ammo Box/Can

Any opinion on the plastic ammo box/can. They have a rubber gasket and appear to latch well. I use them for ammo, miscellaneous parts, mags... Just wondering if there are any negatives I am not seeing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gigx View Post
    Any opinion on the plastic ammo box/can. They have a rubber gasket and appear to latch well. I use them for ammo, miscellaneous parts, mags... Just wondering if there are any negatives I am not seeing.
    I use a combination of plastic and metal ammo cans. The metal ones for longer term storage and the plastic for miscellaneous items and range use. The plastic are more forgiving to my vehicle if they move around in the trunk and are lighter to carry.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gigx View Post

The problem with the plastic cans are the flex in them when loaded. Load it up, lift by the handle and you can see it.

You could always use a food vacuum sealer.

I am a Forum User
    I'm all about using good quality ammo cans. Can get nice quality new production cans st Walmart for around $12!

I am a Forum User
    Cool, dry and in ammo cans. That’s most important to me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast