Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Concealed carry for part-time, vacation resident

Hi folks! My wife and I live in MD, but I grew up in MI, and my folks still live in Onekama. We're trying to get up there more as they get older.

I haven't asked around yet, but does anyone have experience with obtaining a concealed carry in MI if you're not a full-time permanent resident? Seems like might be possible if I'm spending a month or more here each year, and using their home as my residence while here. Measles to say, I don't have concealed carry in MD

Thanks for whatever you know!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattjans View Post
    Hi folks! My wife and I live in MD, but I grew up in MI, and my folks still live in Onekama. We're trying to get up there more as they get older.

I haven't asked around yet, but does anyone have experience with obtaining a concealed carry in MI if you're not a full-time permanent resident? Seems like might be possible if I'm spending a month or more here each year, and using their home as my residence while here. Measles to say, I don't have concealed carry in MD

Thanks for whatever you know!

To add... Would it make a difference if I owned property here... In terms of claiming part-time residence for concealed carry?

To add... Would it make a difference if I owned property here... In terms of claiming part-time residence for concealed carry?

And should say I've already read the State site on this, but it doesn't explicitly address part-time or vacation residents. www(dot)michigan(dot)gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

And should say I've already read the State site on this, but it doesn't explicitly address part-time or vacation residents. www(dot)michigan(dot)gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

You may want to look for Phrases like, permanent resident, I am not an Attorney, but I believe you have to have a D/L or State ID that shows the Michigan residence as your address of record. You may want to put this in the Legal Beagle section and one of our Attorney's will chime in.

Welcome to the MGO Forums.
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

I am a Forum User
    According to MCL 28.425, you would have to meet the residency requirement. This would be established by either obtaining a MI driver's license or state ID, or by being registered to vote in Michigan. You could also be on active duty and stationed in Michigan, but that does not appear to apply here.

There is also a 6-month wait after establishing residency before being eligible for a CPL. According to MCL 28.425b, this waiting period can be waived if you have a permit issued by another state. The law does not specify that the permit has to be issued by your previous state of residence.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    According to MCL 28.425, you would have to meet the residency requirement. This would be established by either obtaining a MI driver's license or state ID, or by being registered to vote in Michigan. You could also be on active duty and stationed in Michigan, but that does not appear to apply here.

There is also a 6-month wait after establishing residency before being eligible for a CPL. According to MCL 28.425b, this waiting period can be waived if you have a permit issued by another state. The law does not specify that the permit has to be issued by your previous state of residence.

Good luck!

Thanks Dan!
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb32 View Post
    You may want to look for Phrases like, permanent resident, I am not an Attorney, but I believe you have to have a D/L or State ID that shows the Michigan residence as your address of record. You may want to put this in the Legal Beagle section and one of our Attorney's will chime in.

Welcome to the MGO Forums.
    Thanks, Mike! I'll post it there.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post

Good luck!

Thanks, Dan!

If I'm reading this correctly a MD lisence is honored by Mi. Why not just get a MD lisence?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Slossar1004 View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly a MD lisence is honored by Mi. Why not just get a MD lisence?
    Easier said than done, MD is may issue. One of the few left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast